Looking for advice on repairing an old broken watch.

I would much aprpeciate advice and help in bringing this watch back to working condition. I do not have a picture of the inside, as it is sitting at a local jeweler and I did not know to take a picture of that before giving it to them to repaid. they indicated they can't repair it for any decent price-- unless i bring them the parts. 

So I'm going to pick it up.. but for now, i don't have access to the watch to get that shot.

050.jpg

0440.jpg

05460.jpg

29 minutes ago, Zayga80 said:

I would much aprpeciate advice and help in bringing this watch back to working condition. I do not have a picture of the inside, as it is sitting at a local jeweler and I did not know to take a picture of that before giving it to them to repaid. they indicated they can't repair it for any decent price-- unless i bring them the parts. 

So I'm going to pick it up.. but for now, i don't have access to the watch to get that shot.

050.jpg

0440.jpg

05460.jpg

Eyup fella. Are you saying you want help with repairing this yourself  ? Or advice on where to take it to be repaired. This is based heavily on how much repair it entails and how much money you are prepared to throw at it. It sounds like you have little to no knowledge regarding repairing, so really that idea is out of the window for the time being, unless something very simple is wrong with it, even then a very risky venture with no experience. If you are lucky it might just need to have the inside workings cleaned and lubricated.  And that by no means does it mean dunking in petrol, drying and spraying with wd40. To learn how to take apart a watch clean and lubricate it and reassemble to an average standard and not damage anything in the process can take months of practise. I'm not trying to discourage you by all means if you intend to take this up as a thing its a very rewarding hobby. You do need to have a logical mechanical mind and patience oh and spare money. Oh dear I'm not doing a very good job of sugar-coating it 😅. That not me , i wont mislead anyone into thinking its easy. So depending on the type of person you are i hope you might work out from this if you are up to the job of repairing, just not this watch just yet. 

• Like 5

looking at your picture you're missing your hands and that's because you don't have a crystal. You don't have a crystal because it looks like you don't have the bezel to hold the crystal in that is a major problem.

then there's the other peculiar problem it looks like the movement is rotating around inside the case? This would normally be impossible if the crown was engaged with the movement and yes it would normally be impossible. That might indicate somebody broke the stem off that's a casing issue like the bezel that's a problem.

Then based on the amount of damage the cases suffered the movement is probably not in a good condition.

On 7/2/2023 at 3:04 AM, Zayga80 said:

they indicated they can't repair it for any decent price-- unless i bring them the parts. 

did you give you a clue of what sort of price they would charge?

• Like 2

tha you for responding! at this point, i would not dare to try it myself. 

I want to have it fixed for sentimental purposes.

I am trying to find another such watch in full working condition that has exactly the same "innards"-- but wasn't able to find one. any help along those lines would be invaluable as well. 

as far as estimated price from said jeweler- i will find out. thank you!

$800 is he estimate from the jeweler.

11 hours ago, Zayga80 said:

Gott in Himmel!!!  $800?  😵 In US dollars? Or some other nation's currency?  I wonder what he must think is wrong with it, that he would estimate so high a cost.

Forgive me for thinking this, but it makes me wonder if $800 is his way of saying "That's not practical for me so rather than just say 'no' I will see if a high price will scare you away."

We had an earlier discussion about that.  Sometimes there are repairs that are not profitable for independent watchmakers to do.  Or sometimes a unique watch requires tools the watchmaker does not have. And sometimes the watchmaker is as busy as he has ever been, when you bring him something difficult and he finds himself unwilling.  At $800, I think this may be one of those situations. 

Edited by KarlvonKoln

14 hours ago, Zayga80 said:

tha you for responding! at this point, i would not dare to try it myself. 

I want to have it fixed for sentimental purposes.

I am trying to find another such watch in full working condition that has exactly the same "innards"-- but wasn't able to find one. any help along those lines would be invaluable as well. 

as far as estimated price from said jeweler- i will find out. thank you!

Some of us may not have noticed, i dont think i looked past the first picture. But john pointed out that the bezel is missing in the pictures that might be a real problem, i hope you have it. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Zayga80 said:

we still need to see the picture of the movement. It's hard to know what the problem is if we don't see that.

then I need a clarification just so I'm sure about something

On 7/2/2023 at 3:04 AM, Zayga80 said:

they indicated they can't repair it for any decent price-- unless i bring them the parts. 

so the price they quoted of $800 is that with you supplying the parts or with them supplying the parts?

12 hours ago, Zayga80 said:

$800 that would be US dollars so I can assume that the jeweler is in the US? Because the people on this group could be just about anywhere on the planet and some locations would have a much harder time grasping how to fix an American pocket watch.

Then jeweler that's a problem. Typically you do take your watches to the local jewelry store to get it repaired but they don't always have watchmakers on-site some do some don't.  sometimes they might claim the watchmakers in the back room but the definition the back room could be someplace else on the planet as they send the work out. so if the jewelry store has an actual watchmaker on premise doing all the repair work pricing would be different possibly than if they send the work out where of course they would probably typically double the price. This is where it's always best if you can find the actual watch repair person and bypass the jeweler.

1 hour ago, KarlvonKoln said:

Gott in Himmel!!!  $800?  😵 In US dollars? Or some other nation's currency?  I wonder what he must think is wrong with it, that he would estimate so high a cost.

Forgive me for thinking this, but it makes me wonder if $800 is his way of saying "That's not practical for me so rather than just say 'no' I will see if a high price will scare you away."

We had an earlier discussion about that.  Sometimes there are repairs that are not profitable for independent watchmakers to do.  Or sometimes a unique watch requires tools the watchmaker does not have. And sometimes the watchmaker is as busy as he has ever been, when you bring him something difficult and he finds himself unwilling.  At $800, I think this may be one of those situations. 

now let's look at the price is $800 a good price or a bad price. To understand the price we have to look at things more seriously and we have way too many unanswered questions like $800 with the customer supplying the parts or the repair with the jeweler doing the parts.

okay let's pretend we're going to do the repair as I pointed out up above crystals missing that's why the hands are missing and the crystals missing because there's no bezel to hold the crystal in. That's means were going to have to replace the bezel which I think there's people out there that might do a custom bezel I bet you it's expensive.

then let's look at the other problem for that let me steal an image from up above and draw some lines on it. So notice the alignment of the crown with 12 o'clock position it's off a little bit? That normally should be impossible there's a stem that goes into the movement and it can't really go anyplace else and yet it's moved. Common lay when dials rotate like this it's because her dial feeder broken off but notice in the picture the secondhand? Secondhand is currently or at least appears to be where it's supposed to be in other words on the fourth wheel post so this indicates the entire movement must've somehow rotated?

image.png.2293291d904f4a9c2008bb579bbe5bb0.png

now notice in this image what do we see about the crown in relationship to the dial? The secondhand is still there indicating of that the dial is where it's supposed to be in relationship to the movement but the entire movement has rotated which as I said is impossible because the crown is still in place well sort of it would indicate that the stem is broken off and I don't think I've ever seen it before at least this I've never seen this exact problem before with one of the's I did see a stem broken the other day but that's a different style a case.

image.png.d65f52adcbb3eb888b5e0fb5d6b04242.png

oh and of course notice in the picture above the invisible bezel. so this means we need bezel, crystal, hands, stem and case work, complete overhaul the movements and we don't know the damage plus possibly a new staff based on the bizarreness I'm seeing so what you think $25 cover it?

So basically you're looking at finding another case. I've seen this style of case before so they're not impossible to find but ill take a while looking at eBay one will show up sooner or later and I'm assuming the cases gold filled but it does have interesting decorations on the outside of the case looks like a couple of different shades of gold.. Yes I know the color gold isn't quite as colorful as it could be but there's a couple of different colors there is not your usual case but it's not impossible to get either.

So used case probably off of eBay take a while to find one but one will show up sooner or later. Whatever problems the movement has in the jeweler should a given you a list of everything wrong with the watch especially if you're supposed to be finding the parts how can you find stuff if you don't know what you're supposed to finding

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, JohnR725 said:

we still need to see the picture of the movement. It's hard to know what the problem is if we don't see that.

then I need a clarification just so I'm sure about something

so the price they quoted of $800 is that with you supplying the parts or with them supplying the parts?

$800 that would be US dollars so I can assume that the jeweler is in the US? Because the people on this group could be just about anywhere on the planet and some locations would have a much harder time grasping how to fix an American pocket watch.

Then jeweler that's a problem. Typically you do take your watches to the local jewelry store to get it repaired but they don't always have watchmakers on-site some do some don't.  sometimes they might claim the watchmakers in the back room but the definition the back room could be someplace else on the planet as they send the work out. so if the jewelry store has an actual watchmaker on premise doing all the repair work pricing would be different possibly than if they send the work out where of course they would probably typically double the price. This is where it's always best if you can find the actual watch repair person and bypass the jeweler.

now let's look at the price is $800 a good price or a bad price. To understand the price we have to look at things more seriously and we have way too many unanswered questions like $800 with the customer supplying the parts or the repair with the jeweler doing the parts.

okay let's pretend we're going to do the repair as I pointed out up above crystals missing that's why the hands are missing and the crystals missing because there's no bezel to hold the crystal in. That's means were going to have to replace the bezel which I think there's people out there that might do a custom bezel I bet you it's expensive.

then let's look at the other problem for that let me steal an image from up above and draw some lines on it. So notice the alignment of the crown with 12 o'clock position it's off a little bit? That normally should be impossible there's a stem that goes into the movement and it can't really go anyplace else and yet it's moved. Common lay when dials rotate like this it's because her dial feeder broken off but notice in the picture the secondhand? Secondhand is currently or at least appears to be where it's supposed to be in other words on the fourth wheel post so this indicates the entire movement must've somehow rotated?

image.png.2293291d904f4a9c2008bb579bbe5bb0.png

now notice in this image what do we see about the crown in relationship to the dial? The secondhand is still there indicating of that the dial is where it's supposed to be in relationship to the movement but the entire movement has rotated which as I said is impossible because the crown is still in place well sort of it would indicate that the stem is broken off and I don't think I've ever seen it before at least this I've never seen this exact problem before with one of the's I did see a stem broken the other day but that's a different style a case.

image.png.d65f52adcbb3eb888b5e0fb5d6b04242.png

oh and of course notice in the picture above the invisible bezel. so this means we need bezel, crystal, hands, stem and case work, complete overhaul the movements and we don't know the damage plus possibly a new staff based on the bizarreness I'm seeing so what you think $25 cover it?

So basically you're looking at finding another case. I've seen this style of case before so they're not impossible to find but ill take a while looking at eBay one will show up sooner or later and I'm assuming the cases gold filled but it does have interesting decorations on the outside of the case looks like a couple of different shades of gold.. Yes I know the color gold isn't quite as colorful as it could be but there's a couple of different colors there is not your usual case but it's not impossible to get either.

So used case probably off of eBay take a while to find one but one will show up sooner or later. Whatever problems the movement has in the jeweler should a given you a list of everything wrong with the watch especially if you're supposed to be finding the parts how can you find stuff if you don't know what you're supposed to finding

I think the Jeweler has moved on, he's given the owner a difficult task of sourcing the parts himself. The 800 dollars is starting to sound like just a labour price. If more damage is to discovered inside that might mean more parts and more labour. This is where finding a good retired amateur that is doing repairing for the love of his hobby and not for a living is a good solution. 

• Like 2

I believe it was US $800 and he would source the parts.

the case is inscribed/engraved, and that's the most sentimental part for me. i'd sooner put a new "watch" (for lack of terminology as a newbie) in the casing then get a new casing. 

Gott im Himmel is right, I don't think it's as complicated as all that. First, did I just miss it or is ...how is it broken? I did read the thread but sounds like the issue is that your hands and crystal are gone, and bezel someone said. And improper alignment. If it is key wound/ key or lever set, the alignment issue is not quite so critical. I can help you get parts, hands, crystal and bezel and main other parts (balance, mainspring). However I read in forum rules we cannot offer if we have them. I'll read the rules again.

But above all else, until you show the movement or at minimum provide the serial number it's all just talk. I myself find those watches waaaay easier to repair and configure than the wrist watches. Hands down and any day of the week. Nice looking watch .

2 hours ago, Zayga80 said:

the case is inscribed/engraved, and that's the most sentimental part for me. i'd sooner put a new "watch" (for lack of terminology as a newbie) in the casing then get a new casing. 

Please send photos of the movement. 

33 minutes ago, nickelsilver said:

Always funny to hear folks' idea of what stuff should cost.

Indeed! For me to repair that watch would take me "forever" (several days, not to mention the time to source the parts) and in the process, I and my family would starve to death if I could only charge a mere $800. That said, where I live, I only get to put about 30 % or so of the invoice amount in my own pocket.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nickelsilver said:

Always funny to hear folks' idea of what stuff should cost.

would that be because you have the silly notion that watchmakers should be able to make a living?

5 hours ago, Galilea said:

Gott im Himmel is right, I don't think it's as complicated as all that. First, did I just miss it or is ...how is it broken? I did read the thread but sounds like the issue is that your hands and crystal are gone, and bezel someone said. And improper alignment. If it is key wound/ key or lever set, the alignment issue is not quite so critical. I can help you get parts, hands, crystal and bezel and main other parts (balance, mainspring). However I read in forum rules we cannot offer if we have them. I'll read the rules again.

But above all else, until you show the movement or at minimum provide the serial number it's all just talk. I myself find those watches waaaay easier to repair and configure than the wrist watches. Hands down and any day of the week. Nice looking watch .

outstanding congratulations for volunteering.

Yes from your description it sounds simple and easy this should be repaired in no time.

Let's look at the message board rules specifically were not supposed to profit off of the website. In the case of his Facebook group the definition of profiting would include posting links to your YouTube video's. I really hate when people on this group say look at my video as opposed to just answering the question for instance. But here were not supposed to directly sell parts and make money off of the website. Because realistically if you did you should be giving a big cut to mark who pays for the website and we don't want to go there because he'll tell us how expensive it is so were happy he has a website. now you can profit off the website by gaining knowledge and sharing knowledge. Like I'm looking forward to where the bezels come from inexpensively.

But it does mean you can list where all the parts could be had and found. Just as long as you're not the person selling them.

So the number one thing is we're still missing something?

7 hours ago, Zayga80 said:

were still missing a key component but based on the above evaluations shouldn't be an issue at all but it really would be nice to have a picture of the watch movement or in the absence of that the serial number.

17 minutes ago, VWatchie said:

Indeed! For me to repair that watch would take me "forever" (several days, not to mention the time to source the parts) and in the process, I and my family would starve to death if I could only charge a mere $800. That said, where I live, I only get to put about 30 % or so of the invoice amount in my own pocket.

no no no that's a very bad attitude we can't have that on this discussion. We've already determined that $800 is by somebody who's extremely greedy and it can be done for considerably less.

haven't you been paying attention?

Gott im Himmel is right, I don't think it's as complicated as all that.

so we seem to have discrepancy here and we're going to carry this discussion through to its finality. In other words this is an excellent learning opportunity.

One of the places where I get very annoyed is whining about the high cost of watch repair. The last person who did it on this discussion group I happily blacklisted that person never to see anything from that person ever again. fortunately while there is some whining about the greedy watchmaker we are having a discussion about what things cost this is an excellent learning opportunity. Which is different than somebody whining about the cost of watch repair with zero comprehension of what their whining about.

Of course we still have a problem we need the serial number the movement.

And improper alignment. If it is key wound/ key or lever set, the alignment issue is not quite so critical.

then you're right it could be a key a wound watch. Yes I've seen that it's hard to find key wind cases sometimes they will use a stem wound case and yes that is a reason it might have rotated. Which is why we still need a serial number or a picture of the movement. So yes of its key wind things become much more simple.

7 hours ago, Zayga80 said:

the case is inscribed/engraved, and that's the most sentimental part for me

We need better pictures of the case even though I've seen a case like that before I do not conveniently remember who made it so we need pictures of the inside makers marks etc. Then where exactly do bezels come from to be replaced and that question is not for @nickelsilver to answer because I know what he would suggest so for right now are the skip over that answer. So were going to go with the off-the-shelf solution and just purchased a new bezel shouldn't be that hard to do based on this discussion.

Edited by JohnR725
  • Like 4

John makes a number of valuable points, among them are 1) we still don't all know every single thing that needs to be repaired upon this watch, and 2) we still haven't seen pictures of the movement, which could influence our opinions (as it may have influenced the other watchmaker).

But we also don't feel the same immense sentimental attachment to the watch, as its owner might.  And if it is that precious, the owner may be tempted to spend $800 on restoration.  What we should be doing is requesting all the information we can, and trying to advise as well as we are able, to ensure that the $800 seems reasonable and necessary.  That is a heck of a lot of educated guessing.  We don't want him to be cheated.  In an ideal situation,  the watchmaker would show a beautifully restored and well-running watch, customer is satisfied  and then pays $800, and from the owner's view it is well worth it.  Perhaps others could do it for less, and perhaps the quality of the work may or may not be different. 

I guess, if the repair technician is reputable, even a master, then he would not ask for money until he could provide the utmost service.  I have been cheated before, more than once.  I am just hoping he will get good work for the price.

• Like 1

Good day! 

1 hour ago, JohnR725 said:

But here were not supposed to directly sell parts and make money off of the website. Because realistically if you did you should be giving a big cut to mark who pays for the website and we don't want to go there because he'll tell us how expensive it is so were happy he has a website. now you can profit off the website by gaining knowledge and sharing knowledge. Like I'm looking forward to where the bezels come from inexpensively.

Thank you for clarifying the policy. My reaction was not about the $800, it was in response to the wave of people saying that watch had terminal  issues, needed a new case, etc. In reality, the $800 seems almost irrelevant, because the OP has said he must have it repaired, period. Things cost what they cost, no slight meant toward any watchmaker or repair person.

As far as profiting in any way, I am not in the business and never have been.  When it comes to watches, money leaves me, it doesn't head to me. In fact, my enthusiasm has left me out of space and it would please me greatly to be able to get rid of some of the mountains of parts and tools I don't need and won't use. That has been more difficult than I would have thought. I was very dissappointed to read in the rules that we aren't allowed to give the stuff away, just because I really do not want to start selling it and I cannot see throwing it all away. 

And then, my standards are probably different than those of some others, because all I care about is if it looks right and runs at all. I understand the Frankenwatch problem, but it would not bother me to put on a bezel (if one is even really needed) from a different watch. Because I wouldn't be selling it, because it would just be another problem solved in my collection. I might get pickier once I finish the courses I signed up for right here on this awesome website.

For now, in direct response, I think I have whatever that watch could ever want or need, right here anf at no cost, but do not know how to test that notion without breaking the rules. And we don't have info about the movement.

Thank you! Awesome start to my day, I am enthusiastic about learning as I go here.

9 hours ago, Zayga80 said:

Ah ok. Tbh the 800 isn't sounding too bad if thats inc. the parts. I expect finding a bezel that fits is gojng to be time consuming and having one made is a big chunk out of the 800. 

32 minutes ago, Galilea said:

it would please me greatly to be able to get rid of some of the mountains of parts and tools I don't need and won't use. That has been more difficult than I would have thought. I was very dissappointed to read in the rules that we aren't allowed to give the stuff away, just because I really do not want to start selling it and I cannot see throwing it all away. 

No problem it doesn't need to be difficult at all, I'm sure an exception can be made in this case, i shall send you my address, how much room should i make for it. 😄

20 minutes ago, Galilea said:

I am enthusiastic about learning as I go here.

outstanding attitude I'm always worried about offending or annoying somebody.

20 minutes ago, Galilea said:

That has been more difficult than I would have thought. I was very dissappointed to read in the rules that we aren't allowed to give the stuff away, just because I really do not want to start selling it and I cannot see throwing it all away. 

had to go back and look at your original introduction I see Northern California. Location is needed because it depends upon where you are on the planets. EBay obviously is a great source to sell things. but the phrase build it and they will come does not apply to selling things. Things have to be properly described otherwise no one's ever going to find what you're selling. Then of course they have to want whatever you're selling.

then there's the other options which is why needed your location for instance the link below. A group of watch and clock collectors primarily located in the US but there are chapters worldwide. They have chapter meetings regional meetings that are several chapters that come together and national meetings which are big. Unfortunately the Association is crashing and burning it might be a bit harsh but downsizing considerably from what it once was.

and typically for all the various meetings they will have what's called the March where they will sell things a great opportunity to pick up things. I've purchased a sizable quantity of tools from regionals and nationals usually at very good prices because eBay wasn't in existence and they didn't have any way to price things. Plus unifying clock people who acquired watch stuff and could care less and watch people it had clock stuff etc. so there are always outstanding things to purchase and yes is a lot of people it still won't sell on eBay.

There's also a huge variation in chapter size. California used to have some big chapters for instance. One of the local members was visiting a California chapter and went to a chapter meeting. Somebody asked if this is what your chapter meeting Mart look like and he said no this is what our regional meeting would look like. At that time our regional meeting was 200 tables. The last I heard the Portland regional because we alternate between Seattle and Portland I think that about 140 tables.

In the old days the nationals were big meetings I can't remember if Denver or Chicago was the biggest I suspect there are literally 1000 tables there. I never did get all the tables in Chicago is just too big and there are too many other things I needed to be doing.

https://www.nawcc.org/

28 minutes ago, Galilea said:

Thank you for clarifying the policy. My reaction was not about the $800, it was in response to the wave of people saying that watch had terminal  issues, needed a new case, etc. In reality, the $800 seems almost irrelevant, because the OP has said he must have it repaired, period. Things cost what they cost, no slight meant toward any watchmaker or repair person

what I would still like to do in this discussion is for us to finish what we think the repair should really cost? The reality is will never be able to do that because there's too many varying factors. The biggest varying factor is location of where the watch repair will be done.

will be nice to have is the point somebody in a direction when they're complaining about watch repair costs and know they probably will never read this discussion anyway. We can't really compare cost because it depends upon where somebody lives. But we can work out other things like if we knew what the watch was what would be a realistic time to disassemble clean it put it back together and get it running providing it doesn't have other unknown issues but until we get a better watch description that's to a certain degree problematic.

30 minutes ago, Galilea said:

new case

the thought for the new case was based on needing a bezel. For the entire repair that is going to be the biggest challenge of all unless somebody knows a source of bezels.

Let's look at a wall from parts Log you will note that cases are not in the catalog. dials, hands stems are in the catalog casually didn't see any cases?

https://archive.org/details/catalogueofwalth00walt/page/n1/mode/2up

there's also the other problem of depending upon how vintage the watch is conceivably the bezel will have to be made custom-made or I don't know if you can modify an existing bezel if we found something really close whether somebody could make it fit for instance

oh and even if we found another case on eBay a lot of these things were hand fits so one bezel may not fit on another case.

5 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Ah ok. Tbh the 800 isn't sounding too bad if thats inc. the parts. I expect finding a bezel that fits is gojng to be time consuming and having one made is a big chunk out of the 800. 

I suspect is only one person the group that give us one of the answers unfortunately lives in Switzerland the cost of living is expensive so maybe we'll look at this a little differently. Plus if we discuss prices its border lining on violation of the rule and selling things on the discussion so we can look at it differently and possibly get an answer

so the only person is probably ever made a bezel would be @nickelsilver so you I give us a clue as to how you make the bezel and how many would you think it have to make to get it right? My wording is because conceivably you might have to make a test bezel just to find out how the things snaps together etc. you might be lucky and make up the first time I don't actually know. So were not good discuss money because of the service you could provide so approximate estimation of how much time you think it would take to make a bezel? Then approximate price of all of the equipment you have to make that bezel.  then based on that will become suspicious that $800 seems a little too cheap? I wonder if there is something that they know that we don't know? Although I could be wrong on the cost of a custom-made bezel but added into the repair I don't know it seems cheap but

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

would that be because you have the silly notion that watchmakers should be able to make a living?

Yes, that's sooooooo silly! 🤣

3 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

outstanding congratulations for volunteering.

Yep, congrats from me as well! 🤣

Yes from your description it sounds simple and easy this should be repaired in no time.

Yep, no problem, and reminds me of someone who once said that a watch that only needs a service only needs about an hour and a half of work.

no no no that's a very bad attitude we can't have that on this discussion. We've already determined that $800 is by somebody who's extremely greedy and it can be done for considerably less.

haven't you been paying attention?

Uh-oh, sorry John, from now on I solemnly promise to better my stray ways! 😉

1 hour ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

No problem it doesn't need to be difficult at all, I'm sure an exception can be made in this case, i shall send you my address, how much room should i make for it. 😄

You had better be careful, sir, or you will be changing your handle 🤣.  I don't want to be competitive, but if you give any of your energy (or time, or money) to your family, dogs or work, then you probably don't have as many watches as I do, just saying. I think you'd be looking at giving up your garage, if you still have one. That's floor  to ceiling.

Begs the question, if you had that much stuff, how would you ever find anything? Do not ask me, I can't. Well, I can find some stuff, just not the stuff I am looking for. 😉

2 hours ago, Galilea said:

You had better be careful, sir, or you will be changing your handle 🤣.  I don't want to be competitive, but if you give any of your energy (or time, or money) to your family, dogs or work, then you probably don't have as many watches as I do, just saying. I think you'd be looking at giving up your garage, if you still have one. That's floor  to ceiling.

Begs the question, if you had that much stuff, how would you ever find anything? Do not ask me, I can't. Well, I can find some stuff, just not the stuff I am looking for. 😉

Haha for me enough is never enough. I would likely be in the same position as you if i had started collecting much sooner. Sounds like a good position to be in, maybe you should post pictures just to make us jealous. 

2 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Haha for me enough is never enough. I would likely be in the same position as you if i had started collecting much sooner. Sounds like a good position to be in, maybe you should post pictures just to make us jealous. 

I would like to post pics, however I would likely be blacklisted or highly admonished for bandwidth hogging.

I am thinking that I will share one certain type of watch at a time in the My Collection thread. Like, the Wyler through Zodiac WW2 military group, the big fat square 70's group, the gaudy highly decorative group, Deco... highlights of the Bulova watches of the 40's and earlier, of course the railroad grade pocket watches, the all gold ones  and the all gold with diamonds...all Gruen super classy dress watches of the 50s and 60s, ... then of course the tricky watches - jump hour like the Dial-o-rama and the Chevron ( the Elgin one), mystery hands and Borels ...oh and the Benrus parade, maybe including the Helbros highlights...or the one-offs with funny names and high jewel counts, like the Hebe watches ,, wait or russian watches, then of course the tools and parts and books...

There are so many more groups, right? Not sure I would be making anyone jealous, just maybe nauseated. Too much sugar for a dime. Thanks though, I will figure it out but also feel free to ask for any specific items you might want to see. Oh and lets not forget the iconic second class watches- the Lucernes,  Chateaus and the Caravelles, for instance and th...stopping haha.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Galilea said:

I would like to post pics, however I would likely be blacklisted or highly admonished for bandwidth hogging.

I am thinking that I will share one certain type of watch at a time in the My Collection thread. Like, the Wyler through Zodiac WW2 military group, the big fat square 70's group, the gaudy highly decorative group, Deco... highlights of the Bulova watches of the 40's and earlier, of course the railroad grade pocket watches, the all gold ones  and the all gold with diamonds...all Gruen super classy dress watches of the 50s and 60s, ... then of course the tricky watches - jump hour like the Dial-o-rama and the Chevron ( the Elgin one), mystery hands and Borels ...oh and the Benrus parade, maybe including the Helbros highlights...or the one-offs with funny names and high jewel counts, like the Hebe watches ,, wait or russian watches, then of course the tools and parts and books...

There are so many more groups, right? Not sure I would be making anyone jealous, just maybe nauseated. Too much sugar for a dime. Thanks though, I will figure it out but also feel free to ask for any specific items you might want to see. Oh and lets not forget the iconic second class watches- the Lucernes,  Chateaus and the Caravelles, for instance and th...stopping haha.

Yep pretty much all of it will be fine. We are all watch lovers and tool geeks. Obscure tools are of particular interest to me.  Curious to know how, when and why you started such an extreme collection, your interest in the hobby must be phenomenal ?