This is what I've been up to

In 2020 a small property went for sale in my small town. It was nothing more than an agricultural warehouse without even a firm floor, made of piled up blocks and with an uncertain roof.  But the price was right, and during that time having a project or a reason to leave home was an attractive perspective, so I bought it. 
The ugliness was demolished, foundation and construction quickly started. By Christmas '21 most work was completed, minus doors and windows, the exterior, electrical, plumbing and what not. I took my time to refine it the way I wanted, and last summer I was using it already for what you see, an hobbyist machinist and general repair and 'making' work.

P6151685.thumb.JPG.71f6d092bad4a2b95be41443d3880eca.JPG

The building is actually designed and intended to be a small home, by regulations is  resistant to earthquakes and highly energy efficient. I plan to add solar panels and an accumulator as soon is convenient.
Heating/cooling will be with a split Inverter A/C, with floor units in each room. I haven't installed yet because in our climate and the efficient insulation one does well even without it.

I've arranged the unit for the purpose of doing stuff for my own interest and business, as well to service the local trade which may need turning, milling, sharpening, and the like. There is virtually nobody else doing that for quite a distance around.

P6151686.thumb.JPG.5499ec28dac1f45b56b76393d93f29ad.JPG

P6151687.thumb.JPG.7830d3ffb6482cd29d9deb4abd0bbae8.JPG

Above is the garage room, the leftmost in the first picture. Everything is on castors, so beside re-arranging as I want, I can also store a medium car in there.
Currently I'm about to restart a vintage universal milling machine (the dark grey one), which has suffered a road 'accident'.  Also a largish vintage lathe is supposed to be coming and be restored to working order.

P6151688.thumb.JPG.c337fd11aef7c1bf912774ae5f124e7e.JPG

The other room with the entrance door is predisposed to be a kitchen and living room. This space is better suited for light mechanical or electrical work, studying and designing. In the middle on the left is an half bath with mezzanine storage above it, and on the back is a large bedroom and a spacious full bath. These are still unfurnished, so no pictures. After much fighting, I managed to get basic ADSL Internet, so I can also watch Youtube videos, buy more stuff, or  conducing other online business.

Still there are so many details that I want to add or improve, but all in all I feel well rewarded for the time and money spent. Time goes fast and for as much work one does, there is always more. I have few machining projects lined up, and hope to get more also. Because of all that I had to place watchmaking on the back burner for now, but have no intention of quitting it.

I want to thank the forum friends that had asked about me, and send friendly regards to everyone.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Welcome back Jdm, 

Looks its a quiet environment, I bet theres plenty of fresh air.

Where is the vegetable garden?    Garden is the first place I ask to see when visiting friends home, love organic gardening. 

• Thanks 1

Hi NJ, in short, growing produce is not for me. It's enough already to maintain the lawn that you see, and an even bigger one at home with too much bushing around. Terrible water, fertilizer and maintenance consumers just for the luxury of looking good.

The great news is that right where I took the 1st picture lives a family with which I'm friend. They have maybe 200 sqm growing full organic lettuce, zucchini, cauliflower, onion, tomatoes.  Plus a chicken pen for fresh eggs almost daily. The guy does this on top of his masonry job, he's to one that painted all the property in and out, laid the stone pavement, and more. He insists in gifting me his produce, I try to return by fixing some of his tools or other friendliness, but in fact he also gifted me a drill and an angle grinder, both made in EU and of great quality. I try to save and give a 2nd life to any tool or item I can find, e.g. two of the metallic shelves I have fully repaired, painted and reinforced.

Really, one of the best things I have done in my life was to leave that devilish big city for good.

On 6/15/2023 at 1:10 PM, jdm said:

They have maybe 200 sqm growing full organic lettuce, zucchini, cauliflower, onion, tomatoes.

Be thankful they don't have cucumbers or you're likely to wake up to bags full of cucumbers on your doorstep!

Good looking shop!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow! That's an amazing setup. It reminds me that the longer and more arduous the journey, the greater the appreciation of the destination. So in that regard, the devilish city played a role. Congratulations.

• Thanks 1