Finished up my watch bench

I've been working on getting myself a workbench put together.  The kitchen island was not going to cut it for the long term.  Seeing as I wanted to save as much money for tools as I could, I wanted to do save some bucks on the watch bench.  I took a 2nd hand desk that I got for cheap, refinished the desk top, installed a LED light bar, added a power strip, and created some storage in the otherwise useless keyboard tray pullout.  The hutch is good to store some tools and accessories.  I've got a couple of drawers to store parts, supplies, and project watches.  I put a chair pad down over the carpet, to hopefully keep some flying parts out of the carpet.  Hadn't used this much yet, but so far it seems like it will work.  Eventually, I would like to add a binocular microscope to the mix.

00R0R_hL9kad4iOTk_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

20230407_133742.jpg

20230407_133750.jpg

20230407_133828.jpg

Edited by gpraceman
  • Like 9

7 minutes ago, HectorLooi said:

Nice woodwork. 

But you'll need to improve on your lighting. The led bar is not going to be enough.

Yeah, I agree on that.  Not sure that a longer LED bar will help with that.  I need some more back lighting.

• 2 weeks later...

I did add an inexpensive desk light, from Amazon, to give some targeted lighting.  The color temp and brightness can be adjusted.  This is definitely better than just the hutch light and room lighting.

I wasn't liking the silicone pad that I started with.  It was a bit grippy so it wasn't easy to clean off.  The new desk pad is faux leather and easier to clean.

I'll see how these go.

20230415_193801.jpg

Edited by gpraceman
  • Like 1

Its nice but you don't have a lot of leg room and things can easily roll off and end up on the floor.  To many corners where dust will settle making it hard to clean.  Mind you I'm the last person on here to give you advice as my bench was always untidy stuff all over the place. my master was always telling me to clean my bench.  

9 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Its nice but you don't have a lot of leg room and things can easily roll off and end up on the floor.  To many corners where dust will settle making it hard to clean.  Mind you I'm the last person on here to give you advice as my bench was always untidy stuff all over the place. my master was always telling me to clean my bench.  

I haven't really seen an issue with legroom.  I know that it is not the ideal workstation.  I am working with what my pocketbook can manage and my spouse won't complain about.  So, I'll make the best of this setup for now. 😉

I think all of us start with a nice and neat bench. Then things have a tendency to creep out of the drawers and scatter themselves all over the table. Perhaps it's the gnomes and elves hiding under the table that are responsible. 

So, having more legroom means more room for elves and gnomes to hide. 🤣

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gpraceman said:

I did add an inexpensive desk light, from Amazon, to give some targeted lighting.  The color temp and brightness can be adjusted.  This is definitely better than just the hutch light and room lighting.

I wasn't liking the silicone pad that I started with.  It was a bit grippy so it wasn't easy to clean off.  The new desk pad is faux leather and easier to clean.

I'll see how these go.

20230415_193801.jpg

Maybe something to surround the sides of the table to catch pingers. I just used some thick card as an upstand and on the front edge i have some self adhesive sponge thats around half an inch thick. This gives a soft edge for your forearms to rest on and also will catch the odd low flyer.

9 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

I think all of us start with a nice and neat bench. Then things have a tendency to creep out of the drawers and scatter themselves all over the table. Perhaps it's the gnomes and elves hiding under the table that are responsible. 

So, having more legroom means more room for elves and gnomes to hide. 🤣

While my work areas can get messy during a project, my dislike of chaos won't let me keep them that way for long.

I intend to keep minimal things living on the desktop to make cleaning easier.  I'll likely end up moving the timegrapher up to the hutch.

9 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Maybe something to surround the sides of the table to catch pingers. I just used some thick card as an upstand and on the front edge i have some self adhesive sponge thats around half an inch thick. This gives a soft edge for your forearms to rest on and also will catch the odd low flyer.

I appreciate constructive feedback to make this workstation more workable. 

I am thinking how to incorporate some side rails.  But they must look good with the desk.  I think that I have some nice cherry wood scraps in my garage workshop that I could stain to match the desktop.  But what's a good rail height?

Your self adhesive sponge comment made me think of using a keyboard wrist pad on the front edge.  I might have to steal the one off my computer station to see if the idea would work.  I had wanted to route out a channel near the front edge of the desk to catch anything trying to roll off the front, but despite the seller saying the desk was "all wood", the top is really laminated.  I negotiated the price down because of that fact.  Hard to find 2nd hand furniture these days that isn't at least some parts laminated particle board.

I do want to close up that gap in the back, but still allow to run power cords if needed.  Not sure if server rack brush panels would work.  Though, trying to find a fine wire spring in those brush bristles might be difficult.  Might just have to do the card stock idea or maybe some soft foam sheet.

Bownet0120-CWC-5013-550x550w.jpg

Edited by gpraceman