How to clean Bergeon 7007-2 Adhesive Swabs

I used to use these in my dental office, didn't realize they were a thing in the watchmaking world. I forget how much I used to pay for them, but I bet the dental world is similar to Bergeon world; $$$.

Sorry, I can't help with how to clean them. I do see they are available on Aliexpress, it may be economical  to just replace them.

It may be possible to use use one of these instead to clean watch hands, it works well for picking up stuff. I use it to pick up shock springs and capstone jewels and it's easy to clean with warm water and soap.

I do use a Bergeon product to clean hands though. It's a tip I picked up from the Chronoglide channel on youtube.

Edited by GuyMontag

Not sure what will clean them as well as the cleaning pad from Bergeon (which they say to clean with isopropyl alcohol). If you are looking for economy, a trick I learned from the clever Finnish watchmakers around here is to make your own. They use contact cement- apparently the cheapest is the best. They dip the tip of a toothpick in it, making a blob about like the Bergeons, then wait 30 minutes or so before use. They would make up a dozen or so before doing casing up work, and use them throughout the day, pitching them as they get dirty. Seems to work as well as the Bergeon stuff! I used to use the contact cement for racing bike tires, worked fine even though it's "fancy" .

I did a quick search on fleabay and came up with these...
image.png.a64c124102bad5647314923ae9be7ecf.png

...price (currently) approx £ 2.80 GBP for 20.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225173435852?hash=item346d61f5cc:g:o-UAAOSwymVg78Xj&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAABIBUdNJDAiXcg94CoOPrFslIaLGolVSn5yvq2mYzch2yoyzjFtLzubRXThWbi8OuUtqqmxgwVK57p0jXQGDEXGGX9RYPJ8lEQhLq28aYxrSOHfwD%2F4fTpL6FbSHXzWs379fFJ%2BeWXoxYsa925dX6hSII2GjMmB7sJZNwbCMKvyQEMAzHHwBpcqnQJqTVc7xYXDtApp4qV17noDM4XCmyrMl9qUemubZKJ9ugyhyAYZgBYpjJwALscUuXuoZxPiI1xPWXx2G%2FlfcI9GV%2Bqkb8mGX1ku%2BQWeEdwDicmLbVldTF6T1o8pk0PHPjz7johR12%2F3tUPilxbDIZiSCfkukM6W%2Fx6TyDIW8%2B%2BWY7DQuU7%2FBfvyRSV2bmXDe%2FklQO%2Fnc26kQ%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR6bDlaXmYQ

image.thumb.png.ecc07efc9fec78323a3f50ed93066502.png

Search term -  Disposable Sticky Ear Swabs Pick Spiral Tips Wax Removal Tool Cleaner.

I have absolutely no idea if they would work, but given the difference in price between those and the Bergeon offering, it might be fun to try them and see.

EDIT: I ordered some... I'll let you know if they work, when the slow boat from China delivers them.

As to using them for their intended purpose, as my doctor once said, "never poke anything smaller than your elbow in your ear".

The Burgeon/Chronoglide leather buff stick is also a useful tool.

I have quite a bit of scrap leather, so I made up a couple from wooden coffee stirrers. They work well.

Edited by AndyHull

On 3/30/2023 at 11:21 AM, GuyMontag said:

I used to use these in my dental office, didn't realize they were a thing in the watchmaking world.

Our dental Pic-n-Stic is way too sticky for watchmaking work. It can stick and pickup an Adam's pliers. And it leaves a residue behind.

I tried using it to pickup watch hands but leaves a smudge on gold plated hands. And don't ask me about the time I used it to pickup a cap jewel.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2023 at 1:16 AM, nickelsilver said:

Not sure what will clean them as well as the cleaning pad from Bergeon (which they say to clean with isopropyl alcohol). If you are looking for economy, a trick I learned from the clever Finnish watchmakers around here is to make your own. They use contact cement- apparently the cheapest is the best. They dip the tip of a toothpick in it, making a blob about like the Bergeons, then wait 30 minutes or so before use. They would make up a dozen or so before doing casing up work, and use them throughout the day, pitching them as they get dirty. Seems to work as well as the Bergeon stuff! I used to use the contact cement for racing bike tires, worked fine even though it's "fancy" .

Ok, I gave this a shot.  I have to say it worked out pretty well!  Thank you for the great tip!  

• Like 1

On 3/31/2023 at 11:49 PM, HectorLooi said:

Our dental Pic-n-Stic is way too sticky for watchmaking work. It can stick and pickup an Adam's pliers. And it leaves a residue behind.

I tried using it to pickup watch hands but leaves a smudge on gold plated hands. And don't ask me about the time I used it to pickup a cap jewel.

Tell us about the time you used it to pick up a cap jewel 🙂

• Haha 2

On 4/5/2023 at 9:00 PM, djbenefit said:

Ok, I gave this a shot.  I have to say it worked out pretty well!  Thank you for the great tip!  

I also made some . Toothpicks dipped in contact adhesive,  the type that's used to stick laminate strips to kitchen worktop ends ( Evo stik impact ) I have to say they work rather well, maybe a little too soft and squishy but ok.  Bit of trial and error to get the blob right.  Shaping the end of the toothpick changes how much it can pick up. Also double dipping in the space of a minute increases the size, then hang them upside down until they are set. And as nickelsilver says ready to use in around 30 mins.  Not super sticky but enough to easily pick up hairs and debris from a dial without scratching, same for the movement and can remove smudges.  I actually prefer them to rodico. When dirty just pull the ends off and redip them. 

20230406_193006.jpg

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

I also made some . Toothpicks dipped in contact adhesive,  the type that's used to stick laminate strips to kitchen worktop ends ( Evo stik impact ) I have to say they work rather well, maybe a little too soft and squishy but ok.  Bit of trial and error to get the blob right.  Shaping the end of the toothpick changes how much it can pick up. Also double dipping in the space of a minute increases the size, then hang them upside down until they are set. And as nickelsilver says ready to use in around 30 mins.  Not super sticky but enough to easily pick up hairs and debris from a dial without scratching, same for the movement and can remove smudges.  I actually prefer them to rodico. When dirty just pull the ends off and redip them. 

20230406_193006.jpg

Update on the contact adhesive swabs. After 12 hours the adhesive has set quite hard making them more usable imho. They still pick up fibres and debris just as well , but might lend themselves to dial cleaning as well as the consistency is similar to a hard rubber. Just be sure to put enough on to keep the toothpick covered, it doesn't need much as the adhesive is pretty tough. Heres a gross shot before lunch .

20230407_103753.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Update on the contact adhesive swabs. After 12 hours the adhesive has set quite hard making them more usable imho. They still pick up fibres and debris just as well , but might lend themselves to dial cleaning as well as the consistency is similar to a hard rubber. Just be sure to put enough on to keep the toothpick covered, it doesn't need much as the adhesive is pretty tough. Heres a gross shot before lunch .

20230407_103753.jpg

Can't beat a bit of wrist cheese. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/30/2023 at 12:38 PM, AndyHull said:

I did a quick search on fleabay and came up with these...
image.png.a64c124102bad5647314923ae9be7ecf.png

...price (currently) approx £ 2.80 GBP for 20.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225173435852?hash=item346d61f5cc:g:o-UAAOSwymVg78Xj&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAABIBUdNJDAiXcg94CoOPrFslIaLGolVSn5yvq2mYzch2yoyzjFtLzubRXThWbi8OuUtqqmxgwVK57p0jXQGDEXGGX9RYPJ8lEQhLq28aYxrSOHfwD%2F4fTpL6FbSHXzWs379fFJ%2BeWXoxYsa925dX6hSII2GjMmB7sJZNwbCMKvyQEMAzHHwBpcqnQJqTVc7xYXDtApp4qV17noDM4XCmyrMl9qUemubZKJ9ugyhyAYZgBYpjJwALscUuXuoZxPiI1xPWXx2G%2FlfcI9GV%2Bqkb8mGX1ku%2BQWeEdwDicmLbVldTF6T1o8pk0PHPjz7johR12%2F3tUPilxbDIZiSCfkukM6W%2Fx6TyDIW8%2B%2BWY7DQuU7%2FBfvyRSV2bmXDe%2FklQO%2Fnc26kQ%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR6bDlaXmYQ

image.thumb.png.ecc07efc9fec78323a3f50ed93066502.png

Search term -  Disposable Sticky Ear Swabs Pick Spiral Tips Wax Removal Tool Cleaner.

I have absolutely no idea if they would work, but given the difference in price between those and the Bergeon offering, it might be fun to try them and see.

EDIT: I ordered some... I'll let you know if they work, when the slow boat from China delivers them.

As to using them for their intended purpose, as my doctor once said, "never poke anything smaller than your elbow in your ear".

The Burgeon/Chronoglide leather buff stick is also a useful tool.

I have quite a bit of scrap leather, so I made up a couple from wooden coffee stirrers. They work well.

Those "disposable sticky earwax picks spiral tips wax removal tool cleaner" sticks from ebay arrived, and... I'm not impressed.

They are not particularly sticky.

I'm not even sure they would work for their intended purpose, but I'm not in the mood to visit the casualty department, so I'm going to skip the idea of poking holes in my eardrums with them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AndyHull said:

Those "disposable sticky earwax picks spiral tips wax removal tool cleaner" sticks from ebay arrived, and... I'm not impressed.

They are not particularly sticky.

I'm not even sure they would work for their intended purpose, but I'm not in the mood to visit the casualty department, so I'm going to skip the idea of poking holes in my eardrums with them.

No don't do that Andy. Stick to the toothpick condoms, a cool name for a cool homemade tool.  Its a toothpick, its a sticky condom ( 🤮 ) , its a sticky toothpick condom. 

• Like 1