Newbe from Stuttgart

JMPlonka

Hello to all of you,

I'm not a real watchmaker, but frustrated by the Breitling service, I decided to check by Chrono Cockpit from 1998 by myself. I got it from my wife from here first salary - it was a bet.

As Breitling told me the movement is totally rusty and therefore a complete failure. Ok, as the watch is already broken, I can't make it worse. So I bought a little set of cheap tools and started to disassemble the watch and clean it. BTW - now I know why Bergeon is a little bit more expensive, but worth it 😉

Well, the movement had no rust, expect the small hand for the second.🤨 Two of the wheels (#453 - intermediate setting, and #420 crown) were blocking because of dirt.

During all the work, I learned a lot about watch making and servicing. Chapeau to all the professionals.

When I was searching one of the springs, I butchered the balance, as I swept from the table as well 😭 - beginner fails.

But never the less - it seems to be alive again 😄

Cheers,

Jens

Edited by JMPlonka

Thank you for your introduction and welcome to this friendly forum.

We all look forward to your contributions and continued involvement. 

Always buy the best tools you can afford as I know how expensive they can be, but buy good watchmakers screwdrivers and tweezers   dumont tweezers Number 3 is what I used for normal watch work and number 5 for fine work and I still have my Bergeon screwdrivers which I bought back in the 1970's