Diagnosis a ETA 2836-2 (balance speed change)

Hi,

I've received a tissot seastar using an ETA 2836-2 before service there was no reading on time grapher the watch is running but the time grapher was unable to evaluate the beat.

I've made the service and reassembled but the problem is the same the time grapher cannot pick a beat.

When I see the balance I remark that it's accelerate and slow down and repeat this again and again it's really visible with clear eyes.

I've inspected all the pieces every wheel pivots and jewels plus the hairspring seems perfectly concentric. 

Do you've any idea what can be the cause ?

it's a very nice watch

Measure the repeating time of the speed change and you will know which wheel is compromised. It‘s most likely either the escape wheel (about two seconds for one rotation) or the fourth wheel (one rotation per minute).

Edited by Kalanag

Thanks for your help on this 

Indeed the hairspring was tangled but not all the time.

When I've disassembled the balance from the bridge I could see the hairspring tangled.

For the record I've tried to repair the hairspring and failed miserably. But I'm lucky because complete balance from china for 2836 are really cheap so I ordered a new one

On 8/24/2022 at 5:00 AM, richiesgr said:

ETA 2836-2 before service there was no reading on time grapher the watch is running but the time grapher was unable to evaluate the beat.

I've made the service and reassembled but the problem is the same the time grapher cannot pick a beat.

usually best if you can determine what the problem is before cleaning as cleaning usually doesn't fix problems.  sometimes cleaning will fix the problem if it's because the watch basically is it running because it desperately needs to be cleaned but usually if there's a problem it's best to figure out what the problem is and try to fix the problem before you do a cleaning.

On 8/24/2022 at 5:00 AM, richiesgr said:

hairspring seems perfectly concentric.

hairsprings are tricky things to look at. One of the key things is they have to be flat they can't be touching the balance that would cause issues Be touching the balance bridge more issues basically can't be touching anything and not supposed to touch. Often times that is really hard to see.

2 hours ago, richiesgr said:

hairspring was tangled but not all the time

it be nice to see a picture of your tangled hairspring and why is it not tangled all the time?

• Thanks 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.