How To Keep A Loupe From Fogging

Here is the beginners question for today. When I use a loupe after about two to three minutes fog developes on the inside of the loupe such that I cannot see. I can take the loup off my eye and rub the fog away, but it returns in short order. It is so annoying that it makes using a loupe a chore. Is there a fix for this? Thanks in advance for your help and advise.

I tend to find it depends a lot of the eyeglass I'm using, my bergeon 3x eye glass never fogs for whatever reason, probably to do with the property of the materials used. my cheap 12x (two lenses) did until I drilled a hole in the body to allow the moisture to escape.

Weirdly enough it was my experience before then that my eyeglass would steam less quickly if my face and eye muscles were relaxed, but I don't know If I was just imagining that to be the case. 

Edited by Ishima

Here is the beginners question for today. When I use a loupe after about two to three minutes fog developes on the inside of the loupe such that I cannot see. I can take the loup off my eye and rub the fog away, but it returns in short order. It is so annoying that it makes using a loupe a chore. Is there a fix for this? Thanks in advance for your help and advise.

Bill I know exactly what you mean mate!

Nothing is more frustrating then a loupe fogging up when you're trying to concentrate on a difficult task.

This is why I don't wear a loupe any more.

If you'd ask me whats the best investment I've made in this trade, that's help me progress and given me a huge advantage, I'd tell you without a shadow of doubt: it's in optics.

The only optics I use is a pair of Carl Zeiss - Eye Mag Pros.  Yes they weren't cheap, but they have more than paid for themselves with the comfort and joy of being able to clearly see what I'm doing, and in stereo vision: giving me full depth perception; which an eye loupe will never do.

And guess what .... they NEVER fog up ... EVER!

Here's my write-up on them mate.

http://www.watchrepairtalk.com/topic/896-carl-zeiss-eye-mag-pro/?hl=zeiss

Just for the sake of the input, I follow the swimmers trick, being a diver myself, and spit in all glasses/optics in order to prevent fogging. It does work maybe because of my particular spit or because it is so, don't ask me why though. :)

Cheers,

Bob

• 5 years later...

Just revive this thread as a motorcyclist I use dish soap to stop my goggles from fogging up. It works I even use it on a mirror in my shower so I can shave....just take a drop of soap and apply a thin layer to the lense...it won’t affect clarity

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Maybe it's just a coincidence, but note how the epilame-treated surface is illustrated in @Waggy's post. It looks like the oil is exposed to a binder (epilame!) so that it can't move sideways.
    • The epilame under the oil will also be removed  Unless the oil makes a barrier between the epilame and the escape teeth 😅 I think i need two strong coffees now 🤣
    • If we use the rub-off epilame method of pallet stones (run dry for a few minutes before applying the epilame) where will the oil go/be transported when it is pushed away from the impulse surface by the escape wheel teeth? Onto the epilame-treated sections of the pallet! Once the oil has been applied/transported to the epilame-treated sections of the pallet where will it then go? Nowhere as the oil will remain on the epilame. So, perhaps the run-dry method defeats its intended purpose leaving the pallet impulse surfaces dry!? If, on the other hand, we do not remove the epilame from the pallet stones where the escape wheel teeth come in contact with them I'd expect more oil to remain where we want it and need it. Yes, I agree, that is the question, and my gut feeling tells me that is exactly the case. Epilame was created to have an adhesive trait and the oleophobic property is just a side effect.  
    • Might that be the viscous nature of oil resisting gravity H  ,  we have been comparing water and hydrophobic surfaces which are similar in principle but water is much less viscous than oil. I guess what we trying to discover is if epilame also has an adhesive trait as well as being oleophobic. Plus the oil dropet has very little mass for gravity to work on, like watching tiny water beads that can grip onto vertical glass until they are connected together to increase their mass then run down. Gravity isn't the only factor at play when oil is placed on pallet stones. The oil receives a lot of bashing that may push it out of position ? Thinking about it if the oil stays in position for 10 minutes enough time for the escape wheel to scrape off the epilame , then  a walled in lubrication has been achieved,  the epilame is no longer beneath the oil ( possibly mixed into the oil )
    • But it also makes it seem less susceptible to gravity. If you place a droplet of oil on an epilame-treated surface the droplet of oil will still stay in place even if you then flip the surface from a horizontal to a vertical position. That is, the oil droplet remains anchored, and that's the purpose of epilame. If it was just a matter of creating an oleophobic surface we could probably use other, less expensive, methods!? I don't know @Waggy but my gut feeling tells me you're spot on (pun intended!). I believe the oleophobic property is a side effect of epilame which is designed to keep the oil anchored.