Hello all, complete newb here!

noob

Hey all, 

I'm completely new to watch repair but not new to watches. I've been fascinated by mechanical watches since I was a child, probably because every time I went out shopping with my Dad he'd go to the local watch shop and look at all the expensive watches. Since then, I've amassed a nice collection of mechanical watches. I'm a software engineer by trade and very fastidious in nature so hoping this will help me on this new journey I'm about to start on.

Recently, I found a YouTube Channel called wrist watch revival and became hooked! https://www.youtube.com/c/WristwatchRevival?app=desktop This motivated me to want to learn this amazing skill. My first step was to buy a Miyota movement kit from rotate watches: https://rotatewatches.com/product/miyota-movement-kit/?v=60ce0ff3f9c0 . Not sure if it's the best way to start but the instructions look really good and I figure I can get some experience here. My plan is to diassemble/reassemble and then buy a case/dial/hands off of ebay and build my own pilot style watch. I have a few unanswered questions already though, hence joining this forum.

Hello all!

Edited by noob

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Sometimes a sticky hairspring might unravel after using a demagnetizer. But if you push the coils until they touch, they will stick together again. I find that brushing the coils gently while submerged in naptha the most effective way to cure a sticky hairspring. Sometimes it requires 2 or 3 washes to cure it. I often wondered what causes a hairspring to become sticky. The 9010 in the jewels are unlikely to drip onto the hairspring. The other possibility is the 9415 on the pallets. But then that's on the other side, below the balance. Can it "splash" onto the hairspring?  Looking at the stickiness and tenacity, I'm leaning towards 9415.
    • I was about to ask the same question, it sounds a lot like magnetism which is a quick fix (assuming you have access to the correct tool) and ideally something you should do anyway.
    • Nice! I have lately been buying up a handful of Arnex pieces on eBay because it is often obvious even without photos that they house a fine Unitas 6498. And many of the 1970s cases and "old timey themed" dials are irredeemably ugly so they are a cheap way to pickup great movements to power custom wristwatch projects. All of the ones I've bought were in like new condition, barely used assuming they were bought as graduation or retirement gifts in the 70s or 80s.
    • Walked by my local jeweler today and asked if I could dig around in his old watch case, and picked this guy up (along with a cool vintage compass and a Seiko kinetic5M62). My girlfriend's son asked if he could borrow one of my pocket watches for prom, so I thought if I can get this guy running it'd be a nice prom gift. Non-running. Felt like the balance was overbanked, but it turns out the train was jammed solid. Looks like it was just dried lubricant gluing the 3rd wheel in place, because it's clean as a whistle otherwise. Parts are in the ultrasonic right now.  
    • Neverenoughwatches. I did read your experience with the basket. I did try to file mine to true it up..but I couldn't find the sweet spot. I figured I would just bite the bullet and get the Elma components.   Thanks Randy