Looking for help changing the movement on a Hagen SKW6444

JohnG

Hello everyone.  I recently purchased a Hagen SKW6444 in need of repair.  I need to replace the movement.  The four-screw opening only allows me to get to the movement to change the battery.  I am able to open the watch case so that I can get the dial and remove the hands.  Should I be able to pry off the case and bezel or is there a trick to opening the watch?  I would appreciate any ideas.

Thank you,

JohnG

Skagen 6444.png

37 minutes ago, LittleWatchShop said:

On my repair, when I BLEW the crystal off, a few of the markers came off as well.

Don't push too fast. Pump air in small steps, giving time to the crystal to leave the gasket gradually. 

16 hours ago, JohnG said:

I'll see if I can come up with a syringe and give it a try.

A specific tool is available and not crazy expensive. It seals to the tube without having to improvise.

There is a better tool for pulling off the crystal. It uses a double sided tape to stick the crystal to an aluminium disk and a jig pulls the disk up vertically.

SG$ 35.52 | Watch Front Cover Glass Opener Flat Glass /Arch Glass Remover Screw Tool Watch Part Repair Tool Accessory for Watchmaker
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKCw5y8

There is a separate version for flat and domed crystals. 

1 hour ago, JohnG said:

Thanks for the tip.  Fortunately, I do not much invested in this thing.

In addition to tools to remove the crystal, you'll need a crystal press to reinstall the crystal. Most of the crystals I've seen on fashion watches are quite thin and can break very easily if mishandled. 

If you don't foresee yourself using these tools often enough, then it might be better to look for a watchmaker to change the movement for you.

12 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

There is a better tool for pulling off the crystal. It uses a double sided tape to stick the crystal to an aluminium disk and a jig pulls the disk up vertically

Have you personally tried it to compare to an air syringe tool? It can be an alternative way, but o ,y experience with both can tell if one is better.

1 hour ago, jdm said:

Have you personally tried it to compare to an air syringe tool? It can be an alternative way, but o ,y experience with both can tell if one is better.

I haven't tried it personally but my mentor's forum group in China designed and produced this tool in response to the need for a safer and more reliable method of removing front loading movements.

Like @LittleWatchShop mentioned, members of his group also experienced dial indexes flying off, broken glass and damage to the dial from using the blow out method. Their prototype used epoxy to glue the crystal to the aluminium disk, which was later removed by soaking in hit water. I think my mentor still uses epoxy.

Personally, I still use the blow out method and haven't had any problems yet. I wrap a piece of cloth loosely around the case to prevent the crystal from flying off and spilling all its innards.

I think I experienced crystals breaking during installation more than breakage during blowing out. But that was due to a poor quality crystal press.

14 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

There is a better tool for pulling off the crystal. It uses a double sided tape to stick the crystal to an aluminium disk and a jig pulls the disk up vertically.

Hmmm...very interesting method.  If I got another one of these Skagens, I would invest in this tool, or use the glue method.  Unlikely I will see another any time soon.  I have lots of friends bringing me their broken time pieces (for free) but the vast majority are battery, or pocket watches, or clocks.  But...who knows what might show up?