Hello

jb101

Just a quick intro,I like old repairable tech so tinker with pressure stoves, lamps & old tool refurbishing.

I do like watches and to an extent clocks but most things mechanical  as i do appreciate good engineeing.

At the moment i have only dipped lightly into watch repairing and want to do more.   

4 hours ago, jb101 said:

At the moment i have only dipped lightly into watch repairing and want to do more. 

Welcome to the forum jb!

I think there are a few differences when considering watches:

1. You are unlikely to have the tools needed.
  2. If you're interested in working on your own watch you may not initially have the needed skills (and you don't want to ruin a sentimental watch).
  3. You'll want some practice and the question becomes what to practice on.
  4. There are many YouTube videos out there (many showing somebody taking a watch found in the mud and transforming it into a beautiful show piece in 50 minutes or less). Reality differs from these edited presentations.

In any case, there is a lot of knowledge contained in some of the lengthy threads on this message board.

Mark L. has a series of self-paced, online courses that you might consider. Look here.

This web page also has a lot of very detailed information on the workings of a mechanical watch.

Hi Guys

Thanks for the welcome,in fact I have most of the tools that I am likley to need for the interim future.

I have taken apart few broken watch movements that I have picked up at boot/yard sales just to get the feel of dealing with very small parts.

As yet not taken apart a watch fully,cleaned and re assembled (working) that is te next step for me.

I would also like to know how to identify the correct winding stem to use in a movement.Ive seen the stem ID'd on sites such as Ranfft but if one was to buy a job lot of say ebay how does one finf the one that fits? (again have movements that require stems).

Regards

James