Hi

Finally I have found my old watch that I last used over 20 years ago. It needs a new battery but I can not see what it says on the battery that is in the watch.

The watch is a citizen 3801-450981 TA

8 minutes ago, LBe said:

Hi

Finally I have found my old watch that I last used over 20 years ago. It needs a new battery but I can not see what it says on the battery that is in the watch.

The watch is a citizen 3801-450981 TA

Hi, i think it may be an sr920sw / 371 battery

16 hours ago, LBe said:

Someone will certainly tell you what is needed but I think that teaching on how to do by oneself is more valuable that serving the ready solution. 

1. get yourself an eyepiece or at least a loupe. Very very important when dealing with watches 

2. measure the old battery, that will give you right away the size because diameter makes the 1st digit, and height the 2nd and 3rd. And I am attaching a document to better make sense of that.

7009_Battery Cross Reference Guide.pdf

3. if no battery, measure the slot and proceed as as above.

4. if no watch, there are many websites carrying this information. Normally, in the first hits of a Google search result.

Edited by jdm
  • Like 3

I have not been able to find anything about  3801-450981TA on google but i can see better now using brighter light.

I's a 371 🙂 

I'm just so excited.

Hope the watch will be up and running again with  new battery

Skjermbilde 2022-07-10 kl. 22.24.17.png

As long as the old one had not leaked its contents and done circuit damage I am sure it will work with a new battery, unless the mechanism has got a little gummed up sitting there doing nothing for nearly 20 years. One of those cheap Quartz tester might be needed to shock it back to life, they are a very handy gadget for the Quartz owner, they can listen to the pulse generated and spin the hands which can clear a stuck movement. 

32 minutes ago, Paul80 said:

unless the mechanism has got a little gummed up sitting there doing nothing for nearly 20 years.

unfortunately even quartz watches need servicing from time to time if the lubrication's go bad that can be an issue but usual a quartz watches seem to run considerably longer and sometimes people consider that they never need servicing because they run so long. although you do have to be careful of quartz watches are very intolerant two things falling in the and other was sloppy battery changes can result in a heck of a lot of destruction coils are favorite thing to destroy. Or just dropping things in because people don't brush the backs off before they take them off.

then I found a tech sheet for your movement

2634_Citizen 3800,3801,3802,3810,3811.pdf

3 hours ago, LittleWatchShop said:

SHOCKED!!! SHOCKED I TELL YOU!! @JohnR725finds a tech sheet on some obscure Citizen movement!

😆

Personally i think he wears a top hat and cape and carries a black stick that he waves around while casting an appearing spell. If that isn't blowing smoke up someones arse then i dont know what is lol

2 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Personally i think he wears a top hat and cape and carries a black stick that he waves around while casting an appearing spell. If that isn't blowing smoke up someones arse then i dont know what is lol

And this was actually a thing practised on drowned victims a few hundred years ago.  😳 . Really i ask you and people say that I'm wierd.

9 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

unfortunately even quartz watches need servicing from time to time if the lubrication's go bad that can be an issue but usual a quartz watches seem to run considerably longer and sometimes people consider that they never need servicing because they run so long. although you do have to be careful of quartz watches are very intolerant two things falling in the and other was sloppy battery changes can result in a heck of a lot of destruction coils are favorite thing to destroy. Or just dropping things in because people don't brush the backs off before they take them off.

then I found a tech sheet for your movement

2634_Citizen 3800,3801,3802,3810,3811.pdf 2.08 MB · 2 downloads

Gummed up was the wrong word (No surprise there) and yes they do need servicing, if the movement fitted can be serviced unlike for example  the one fitted to the new Swatch-Omega Moon watch 😞 but I have found they can need a little help starting if sat idle for many years with a flat battery.

21 minutes ago, Paul80 said:

Gummed up was the wrong word (No surprise there) and yes they do need servicing, if the movement fitted can be serviced unlike for example  the one fitted to the new Swatch-Omega Moon watch 😞 but I have found they can need a little help starting if sat idle for many years with a flat battery.

These 4 in 1 quartz testers can be quite useful to determine if the quartz and cmos is ok and to even test the quartz crystal by itself to eliminate component breakdown.  But i did try the freeing mechanism on a couple of watches that where running fine as i was curious. One of them ceased to work afterwards so I'm sure its not a good idea to have it whizzing all the hands backwards and forwards. If the movement is gummed up with old oil , there is going to be some stress placed on it by imposing undue forces. And if its not cleaned and serviced instead then the dried up oil is still there and will start to lock up the train again anyway.  Really best to service them, they're not difficult. The train is smaller and more delicate but there is much less to work on. The only troublesome lithle bugger is the rotor, but we've duscussed how to deal with him last week. There is a few pressed together movements that are not servicable but to buy complete are pennies. I dont like to dismiss any watch but these are not even worth a mention tbh.

1 hour ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

And this was actually a thing practised on drowned victims a few hundred years ago.  😳 . Really i ask you and people say that I'm wierd.

I'm dying to know how many of the wierdos amongst our group are googling this. Just so i know what competition i have. Lol.  And if any of the more wierdo are going to try it then i suggest a oneway valve in the tube and breath in through your nose, as the after taste is most definitely an aquired taste 😂

Edited by Neverenoughwatches

3 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

My point went right over your head.

I consider @JohnR725  to be the Google of watch knowledge...a high compliment.

7 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Not Magic Its just knowing where to look,  And John has the knowlwdge, I also have a computer full of info . Cant have too much .    attached the 3800 base caliber tech info for you Citizen guys

774340894_2634_Citizen38003801380238103811.pdf 2.08 MB · 0 downloads

Haha WW. I was making the point that John is our resident watch wizard 🙂

10 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Not Magic Its just knowing where to look,  And John has the knowlwdge, I also have a computer full of info . Cant have too much .    attached the 3800 base caliber tech info for you Citizen guys

yes the secret of where to look and what to look for.  on my bookmark toolbar for the most part there is no individual bookmarks there are just folders of bookmarks. Watch repair related stuff takes up to folders otherwise the list goes down the page too far and it did allow me to categorize a variety of things.

Then of course it's really nice that computers have much bigger hard drives than they used to have sizable quantity of  PDFs accumulated over a very long time and continuously being updated with more and more of them.

3 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

John is our resident watch wizard

I just happened to be the first  person here there are others on the group that will post tech sheets also. so I don't work alone here this is a team effort there iare other people on the technical supplying team. although that's an unofficial team we don't officially exist.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

yes the secret of where to look and what to look for.  on my bookmark toolbar for the most part there is no individual bookmarks there are just folders of bookmarks. Watch repair related stuff takes up to folders otherwise the list goes down the page too far and it did allow me to categorize a variety of things.

Then of course it's really nice that computers have much bigger hard drives than they used to have sizable quantity of  PDFs accumulated over a very long time and continuously being updated with more and more of them.

I just happened to be the first  person here there are others on the group that will post tech sheets also. so I don't work alone here this is a team effort there iare other people on the technical supplying team. although that's an unofficial team we don't officially exist.

And you are all very much appreciated John thank you . Without all the help that we are receive us beginners would find it so much more difficult. So you may not exist officially, but you are most definitely recognised my friend. 👍

• Like 1