Rolex Balance Low Amplitude Watch Run Slow?

Hi

A question:

a Rolex Daytona with Rolex Balance, this watch run slow (-60 to -80 second per day) when amplitude at 150 degree. However, it run normal if the amplitude increase to 200.  

What wrongs of the watch?  

1. dirty?............... 

I tried others rolex watches ..most of them can keep accuracy even in very low amplitude. They can keep  +2 to  +4 second per day when amplitude as low as 140 degree.  

thank you 

Just a guess, but it sounds like it's more to do with the escapement needing re lubricating than cleaning (though obviously you have to clean it before re lubricating it) If the oils are partially congealed then maybe that would explain it.

Unless it's old and worn/poorly serviced I wouldn't normally expect contaminants (dust, dirt, etc) most rolex watches are pretty well sealed after all.

But if it's become improperly lubricated over time... then maybe that explains why an increase in amplitude would allow the escapement to operate normally in-spite of an increase in friction/loss of efficiency in the pivots, jewels or impulse jewels, but obviously it's not ideal. 

Edited by Ishima

Just a guess, but it sounds like it's more to do with the escapement needing re lubricating than cleaning (though obviously you have to clean it before re lubricating it) If the oils are partially congealed then maybe that would explain it.

Unless it's old and worn/poorly serviced I wouldn't normally expect contaminants (dust, dirt, etc) most rolex watches are pretty well sealed after all.

But if it's become improperly lubricated over time... then maybe that explains why an increase in amplitude would allow the escapement to operate normally in-spite of an increase in friction/loss of efficiency in the pivots, jewels or impulse jewels, but obviously it's not ideal. 

Agree, thank you for your explanation. 

The regulator pins might be too far apart. Or the hairspring is not centered. If it sticks to one regulator pin, when it has small amplitude, it barely leaves it and doesn't get to the other one and so the equivalent length for a semi-period will be until the stud. Also I think you have a big positional error.

Edited by matabog

• 4 weeks later...

I don't quite understand the question why are you concerned about timekeeping of your Rolex at 150°?  Then when exactly is the watch running at 150°?

So to help you understand timing specifications I'm attaching timing information for a eta 2824-2 watch. So you'll notice that the end of 24 hours running the minimum amplitude is 200°. Then the timing specifications are based on a 24 running time even though the watch has a power reserved 42 hours timing is based on 24 hours.

So here's a link explaining about COSC certification you'll notice specifies that every 24 hours the watch is wound.

http://people.timezone.com/library/wbore/wbore631733384647656250

So what's the problem with going below 200°? As you found out timekeeping gets really bad. The escapement that supplying power to the watch also screws up timekeeping and the effect becomes much greater as the amplitude decreases. Then you're probably timing the watch either dial-up or dial down try putting the watch in one of the crown positions and see what happens especially when you're at 150°. There's always a drop in amplitude between dial-up and dial down and one of the crown positions as there's more friction on the staff typically on its side. The other problem with low amplitude is positional errors become much greater.

post-673-0-62798300-1435388237_thumb.jpg

• Like 1