Hello from New Mexico

I became interested in this hobby like I do all my hobbies.... a healthy combination of beer and youtube. Most of my other hobbies are performed outdoors, which makes them pretty miserable to do where I live in southern New Mexico in the summer time. I already had a microscope that I am using for instumental insemination of queen bees, and an ultrasonic machine from my day job as a dentist so picking up the rest of the small tools was relatively cheap for me to start this hobby. I am currently taking Marc's watch repair course and have found it awesome. I haven't ever worn a watch and don't really intend to start but I do find the movements beautiful and an engineering/manufacturing feat. I picked up a few vintage watches and have started going through them. The part that I find the most frustrating is that looking up and finding parts or parts diagrams is fairly time consuming. For instance I am tearing into a vintage Tissot visodate seastar and found that one of the balance jewels was superglued into it location because the incabloc had one of the spring arms missing. Finding this part or a diagram of how its assembled has been difficult. My end goal is to restore an early 60's Calendar Orient Auto from junk to something I can be proud of. I am currently working on (while I wait for parts for the Tissot) an old military Oris cal 292 which has a broken click spring (so I am waiting on parts for that as well). I look forward to learning as much as I can from all the collective intelligence gathered here. 

Brandon

brokenincabloc.jpg

Welcome to WRT forum and good luck with your forey into  horology. 

The shock system  and setting is generally like whats on the other side. 

Movements with different size settings on other side are very few. 

Hey Brandon, welcome to the forum!

Sounds like you're going into this with a bit of a tool advantage (at least over what I started with).

And you have some goals which is good. At the moment I'm working on a Pobeda ZIM that I picked up cheap after watching a Vintage Watch Services video where Stian worked on one.

8 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

Welcome to WRT forum and good luck with your forey into  horology. 

The shock system  and setting is generally like whats on the other side. 

Movements with different size settings on other side are very few. 

Am I able to replace just the incabloc or will I have to press out the entire jewel/housing/incabloc unit and replace it as a whole?

10 hours ago, Kappa505 said:

from my day job as a dentist 

Hi Brandon from another dentist. I'm planning on retiring in 6 months time. I'm forcing myself to retire this time by not accumulating continuing education points, so that I can't renew my practicing license. 😉

Welcome to WRT. With the skill set you developed in dentistry, you should be able to pick up watch repair fairly quickly. But be warned, watch repairing is highly addictive and you'll find that your mind will be on horology more than on dentistry. 

I thought dentistry was the acme of manual dexterity until I started tweaking hairsprings, setting pallet jewels and polishing jewels.

Enjoy and try to stay sane. 🙂