TAG Heuer Quartz

Hi all , I’m looking for some advice on servicing my Heuer Diving Watch which I have had from new since 1984 but has been in its box for the last approx 30years. The model is 980.007 and it has never been serviced. The Battery needs replacement and I cannot seem to unscrew the crown. I have spoken to Heure who have said it will need to go back to Switzerland for a service as they say it is vintage. I live in North Wales and hoped somebody could recommend a good repair service more locally? Appreciate any help thanks Malcolm.

Edited by jdm

• jdm changed the title to TAG Heuer Quartz
32 minutes ago, Mals1960 said:

I have had from new since 1984 but has been in its box for the last approx 30years.

The problem with having a watch new in the box for 30 years is things still disintegrate. Like for instance the rubber seals found in the crown in the back community get really hard which would be good or the rubber can actually disintegrate and turn into a tar like substance.

I'm assuming from the pictures at the website below that your crown is probably a screwdown crown at the seals have disintegrated that may be why you can't unscrew the crown.

Then there's a problem of the two batteries been the watch for 30 years conceivably it's disintegrated and hopefully it hasn't leaked bad chemicals all over the place.

Fortunately a sizable percentage of the people this group are in the UK so maybe they'll recommend somebody. Otherwise simply go back in time and you knew your list or the watch for 30 years I would remove the battery and made sure the crown was unscrewed out so if the rubber does disintegrated it's easier to deal with the same with the back it would've been good just leave the back on loose

https://heuerville.wordpress.com/tag/heuer-980-007/

• Like 1

Hi  Information as supplied by John is indeed as always good. First get the back off because if the battety has leakes there may be ireperable damage caused to the movement. Any reputable watch repairer can do that. The seals are as John said going have to be changed as is the stem seal , getting that out will require a little inginuity as it is probably softened to the degree where it has now effectivly glued the crown in.  If you can remove the back a Picture or two of the movement would be appreciated.   cheers 

• Thanks 1

On 5/27/2022 at 8:09 AM, Mals1960 said:

who have said it will need to go back to Switzerland

Well, that's what they would say - they want your money.

As others have suggested, there are likely any number of local watch repair folks who can help you if you don't want to continue to explore servicing this watch on your own.

8 minutes ago, Plato said:

Even if the battery has leaked it shouldn't be too hard to replace the quartz module. As long as the dial and hands are fine then it won't be an expensive fix.

This model has the oversized 42mm case and is powered by an ESA (Pre-ETA) AS 536.121 movement.

2 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

This model has the oversized 42mm case and is powered by an ESA (Pre-ETA) AS 536.121 movement.

Ebay are showing one new for 200 Betty notes

5 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Ebay are showing one new for 200 Betty notes

If you are lucky and you manage to get the stem out to release the movement. It may be fixable 👍 as 200 Betty's isn't cheap. Have it out mals and then lets have a look at its condition, there are a few of us on here that have some experience with cell watches. 

• Thanks 1