Hi!

jpg

My recently aquired interest in older japanese watches led me here. I have been into watches in general for about 5 years now, but due to my discovery of japanese yahoo, a seemingly healty and innocent hobby has taken a turn for the worse. I now find myself in a position were it would be wise to learn some basic watch fideling for the sake of my bank account.

/Petter 

20 hours ago, jpg said:

My recently aquired interest in older japanese watches led me here. I have been into watches in general for about 5 years now, but due to my discovery of japanese yahoo, a seemingly healty and innocent hobby has taken a turn for the worse. I now find myself in a position were it would be wise to learn some basic watch fideling for the sake of my bank account.

/Petter 

Welcome. This is a good move. Essential if you want to lessen your watch repairers bill. Money saved can buy you more watches 🙂

• Like 1

On 5/27/2022 at 3:54 AM, jpg said:

for the sake of my bank account.

Well, one thing I can say is that while you may have been buying watches to deplete your bank account, the tools will also set you back.

Enjoy the constant drain...   🙂

...and welcome!

10 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Welcome. This is a good move. Essential if you want to lessen your watch repairers bill. Money saved can buy you more watches 🙂

And it doesnt have to be a huge outlay for basic servicing tools and equipment. How much is an AD service on a quality watch without a repair 300 ? 500 ? Depending on the watch. I'm guessing my complete set up is well under 1000. That includes a microscope, an ultrasonic cleaner, a staking set, a lathe with loads of accessories, a timegrapher, a miniture bench grinder for polishing cases and backs,plenty of Dumont tweezers, screwdrivers of average quality but decent enough blades,  a dozen or so mainspring winders, cheapish loupes oilers etc. Some good quality vintage extras like a bergeon crystal lift a free standing micrometer, poising tools, then cheaper versions of a crystal press and back remover, a good adjustable temp soldering station, and some cheapy and homemade quartz tech gear, Only big thing I'm missing is a jeweling set and tool. Anything else i  make or adapt. Most of this bought good second hand on ebay. But still under a grand, i suspect the cost of a new horia clone jewelling set will about get me there. Enough equipment here to do most amateur repairs.  So it is absolutely doeable if you apply yourself and it is a fantastic hobby if you have the aptitude for it and a positive attitude to it. No repair guy is going to want to fix that beautiful vintage Omega, Zenith, Cyma, Venus, Seiko or whatever takes your fancy or find. You crack on my friend everyone here looks forward to hearing your experiences and are here to help with your challenges 👍