Case Tube Threads Stripped, Not Sure of My Options...

Hey All, 

I'm working on a Tudor Oyster from 1952 with a gold plated brass case. The inner threads on the case where the threaded case tube screws in are in very bad shape, and the tube doesn't grab at all, it can just go in and out. I've attached a photo of the threads. 

My question is: What are my options?

The previous repairer used some type of epoxy or glue to hold it in place, which lasted for about 5 years. I could try this myself. 

I assume the proper way to do this would be to have someone build up some material with a laser welder and then re-cut/re-thread the hole? Is this possible on a plated/brass case like this? 

Any suggestions are welcome, and thank you.

IMG_5166.PNG

From a purely mechanical standpoint if there is enough material in the case to drill it clean and then re-thread and then thread in a new sleeve? Then make whatever adjustments need to be made on the ID of the new sleeve - drill/tap?

16 minutes ago, grsnovi said:

From a purely mechanical standpoint if there is enough material in the case to drill it clean and then re-thread and then thread in a new sleeve? Then make whatever adjustments need to be made on the ID of the new sleeve - drill/tap?

I believe so. I'm not 100% to know how much extra material would need to be drilled out but if it's not a lot then yes I think there's enough room for that. I've never done that kind of thing before and am curious what the sleeve would be made of and how it would be kept in place (meaning would it be friction fit? welded/soldered? glued?) 

Thanks for the question, and apologies for not quite knowing the answer if so! 

Hi  In a case such as this I would think a brass sleeve  and soldered not glued. This can be achieved by tinning the sleeve and fluxing the drilled hole, pressing the bush into the hole and using a rod in the tube heating the rod close to but not touching the case. As the rod heats up the solder melts and the flux will transfer the solder to the case. Best to use solder paste for such and application.  Once done the real work begins in re drilling and cutting the threads.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, grsnovi said:

I was thinking more along these lines:

1. Drill out and tap case
  2. Pre-make threaded insert
  3. Thread into case
  4. Re-plate case

idea.jpg

Ohhh I see now, thats clever! Thank you, that's a great suggestion. I probably don't have the skillset to actually pull it off but I'll make it a goal 🙂

4 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

Before you do any irreversible damage to your case, have you considered getting a new pendant tube? Sometimes a new pendant tube is able to grip the remaining threads.

Have a look at Cousins range of generic pendant tubes and crowns.

https://www.cousinsuk.com/category/generic-rolex-case-bracelet-parts-by-list

I have to agree with HectorLooi.  Start with a  lesser approach first. You didn't mention  how bad was the tube threads were ? Recut the case threads to original then locktite in a new tube. That might be enough  to get the job done to acceptable standard. Sometimes less is more, aim for simple first until a more complicated procedure is called for.

9 hours ago, Marshall said:

Ohhh I see now, thats clever! Thank you, that's a great suggestion. I probably don't have the skillset to actually pull it off but I'll make it a goal 🙂

I'm not quite sure how a tube in a tube would work ?

Edited by Neverenoughwatches

1 hour ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

I have to agree with HectorLooi.  Start with a  lesser approach first. You didn't mention  how bad was the tube threads were ? Recut the case threads to original then locktite in a new tube. That might be enough  to get the job done to acceptable standard. Sometimes less is more, aim for simple first until a more complicated procedure is called for.

I'm not quite sure how a tube in a tube would work ?

Yeah I mentioned in the post that the threads don't grab at all, but I have ordered a new tube just in case it can grab and maybe I could use an epoxy or something to have it grip. That's my hope, but I don't think it will work. 

The tube in a tube would work theoretically because one is soldered to the case so it can't move, and since it would be threaded on the inside you could screw the new tube in. Theoretically 😉

5 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

Before you do any irreversible damage to your case, have you considered getting a new pendant tube? Sometimes a new pendant tube is able to grip the remaining threads.

Have a look at Cousins range of generic pendant tubes and crowns.

https://www.cousinsuk.com/category/generic-rolex-case-bracelet-parts-by-list

Yes I have done that, it was my first thought as well. 

6 minutes ago, Marshall said:

Yeah I mentioned in the post that the threads don't grab at all, but I have ordered a new tube just in case it can grab and maybe I could use an epoxy or something to have it grip. That's my hope, but I don't think it will work. 

The tube in a tube would work theoretically because one is soldered to the case so it can't move, and since it would be threaded on the inside you could screw the new tube in. Theoretically 😉

8 minutes ago, Marshall said:

👍 a steady approach  first and then move onto something more involved if needed. I think you know what you up to. Good luck 🤞 and let us know what works. 

Sometimes a part becomes loose because of wear on both the male and female parts. So sometimes just replacing one half is enough. I had a Komandirskie with a loose screw down crown. I thought I needed to replace both the tube and crown but after I replace the tube, the crown could screw down just fine, so I left it alone.

Sometimes a trick that mechanics use is to wrap the male thread with aluminium foil. The extra thickness will fill up the gap and allow the screw to grip.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

Sometimes a part becomes loose because of wear on both the male and female parts. So sometimes just replacing one half is enough. I had a Komandirskie with a loose screw down crown. I thought I needed to replace both the tube and crown but after I replace the tube, the crown could screw down just fine, so I left it alone.

Sometimes a trick that mechanics use is to wrap the male thread with aluminium foil. The extra thickness will fill up the gap and allow the screw to grip.

This is also true of plumbing.  I often use ptfe tape or a jointing compound to fill and seal threads on steel brass copper and cast. Maybe a little bit course for this application but Locktite comes in different strengths. That would be my go to solution before trying anything that may cause further issues.