Mstelm

Hello, found the introduction link in my email. I’m interested in doing up a few watches passed down. After a minimal gentle winding they are willing to tick, and after a brand model search I see I’m futzin with 20-80 bucks … so anchors up.

my first goal is to get pointed to appropriate  instructions in book form. Videos are good as a secondary resource.

Hello and welcome to the forum, There are plenty of books on the subject of Horology  Books by Henry B fried , Donald De Carl seem to be good for a starting point but there are lots to choose from depending on your interest be it Watches or Clocks or Both.  attached are a couple of documents to get you started.      cheers.

1612608791_ToolsfortheHobbyist (2) (1).pdf TZIllustratedGlossary.pdf

2 hours ago, Mstelm said:

Hello, found the introduction link in my email. I’m interested in doing up a few watches passed down. After a minimal gentle winding they are willing to tick, and after a brand model search I see I’m futzin with 20-80 bucks … so anchors up.

my first goal is to get pointed to appropriate  instructions in book form. Videos are good as a secondary resource.

Hello mstelm, good to have you aboard matey. I joined here a week or so ago, I should have done it much sooner. Would have prevented some silly mistakes when I started. Enjoy the forum. Oh and what is futzin ? It's a term I've never heard before . Messing around? 

Thanks for the intro @Mstelm welcome to the WRT forum! I'm also relatively new and I'm in the middle of my first service of an Elgin Grade 313 movement which has been stalled for a while as I was waiting for oil and a mainspring winder. Well, my oil arrived today and luckily I picked up an identical 2nd movement so as I disassemble that one it will help me remember how to re-assemble the first one! I've posted some shots of my watches here.

• 1 month later...