Spinning Hands

Willow

Hi Willow Just treat it loke a big watch. The platform comes apart like any escapement.  The attached document by David La Bounty takes you through it in easy understandable steps. Just be careful handling the bits they are very fine. If you havnt worked on watches/pocket watches before it just a case of taking your time.  If the escapement wheel just rocks when you move the pallet itpoints to a problem with the stones being loose or broken, but the acid test is to take it apart and check it out. Hope you find the document useful     cheers

Servicing a Platform.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Hi Willow Just treat it loke a big watch. The platform comes apart like any escapement.  The attached document by David La Bounty takes you through it in easy understandable steps. Just be careful handling the bits they are very fine. If you havnt worked on watches/pocket watches before it just a case of taking your time.  If the escapement wheel just rocks when you move the pallet itpoints to a problem with the stones being loose or broken, but the acid test is to take it apart and check it out. Hope you find the document useful     cheers

Servicing a Platform.pdf 628.19 kB · 3 downloads

Thanks for that watchweasol not sure if i will be able to work on that, i have a tremor in my hand when i am concentrating that's why i work on clocks and not watches because the parts are so small, the document is very helpful i my give it a try if not will out source it thanks for you help 

I looked at that document last night and it is very good it covers most things on how to service a platform. I didn't see any info on bluing screws or re-silvering a platform which is needed when servicing a visible platform in carriage clocks. but Willow you don't need that.   

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, watchweasol said:

Ys its ok to brush clean and not soak with isopropanol although using Ronsonol will be a cheaper option and just as good, whats the pallets like are the jewels intact and noe loose ?.  lubrocate it with watch oil, Windles clock oil might be a tad too viscous. 

Yes the pallets jewels are intact and not lose and i have watch oil, thanks

well got the platform escapement back together and back on the movement ran for about 5mins and stopped pallets just rocking back and forth took it back out of the movement had a good look escapement wheel and pallets balance spring is good any ideas thanks

You have to have the right depth on the escape wheel which engages with the contrite wheel. You should have a screw adjustment on one side of the pivot of the contrite wheel, you also have a small amount of movement with the platform. Have you checked the teeth on the contrite wheel. When it stops mark it, start it again and see if it stops in the same place, if it does you know its a tooth that is causing it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Will check did have a look at the contrite wheel will check again with microscope, would the pallets be rocking like that when its not back in the movement so its not connected to the contrite wheel yet

27 minutes ago, Willow said:

Will check did have a look at the contrite wheel will check again with microscope, would the pallets be rocking like that when its not back in the movement so its not connected to the contrite wheel yet

The pallet fork will move anytime the balance moves, in or out of the clock.

I agree with OH, this sounds like a depthing issue. It can be tricky to find the sweet spot.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, nickelsilver said:

The pallet fork will move anytime the balance moves, in or out of the clock.

I agree with OH, this sounds like a depthing issue. It can be tricky to find the sweet spot.

Will have a look tomorrow, electricity gone off in the house 🏠 fault somewhere somebody coming out tomorrow to have a look from British gas 

If you remove the balance cock and complete balance you can touch the pallets with(I suggest a clean not to thin oiler or peg wood) and watch the action, the escape should be clean and swift. As I have said before the movement should work no matter what angle you have it even upside down it should work. This is a good way of making sure the depth is correct on the contrite wheel to the escape wheel and the correct end shake to the balance. The contrite wheel should be loose to rotate but with no end shake, so no matter what angle the movement is at the depth is still the same. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is it also worth removing the balance, putting a couple of winds on the main spring and making sure the power is travelling right the way through the train and there's no friction in the movement? Sometimes we focus too much on one area and not the whole thing. Something like poor end shake could be enough to stall it.

• Thanks 1