Strange Chinese Pocket Watch

clockboy

Curiosity just got the better of me I put in a real silly bid on the bay for this Chinese pocket watch & won it for £1.60 + postage.

I just fancied looking inside to see what drives it . But alas it seems to be a movement that has just been pressed

into a brass /bronze case with no way to get it out. It is running great but !!!

Also I have know idea what the time is  :D the middle of the dial is a 24hr dial but the rest of it is anybodies  guess 

post-234-0-43545400-1431619878_thumb.jpg

post-234-0-43337400-1431619896_thumb.jpg

post-234-0-51832400-1431619912_thumb.jpg

Try google translate. Has a camera option to focus on text and do a live translate.

If you have an inferior Apple device you can use Word Lens [emoji1]

There are apps for smartphons (I used one for android) which can read it using phone camera and translate it for you

Yup. [emoji12]

Thanks guys just bought it for fun & was hoping to open it up to see what movement it has but no way. I think it is just press fitted in from trhe front then then stem attached.

When time will play with a translator app but it's going to be a bit of a pain when checking the time.  :D

Thanks guys just bought it for fun & was hoping to open it up to see what movement it has but no way.

That's because it's a Chinese puzzle! ;)

As a matter of interest, try using a sticky ball on the back or front to see if either side screws off. There are serrations to get a good grip around the edge and what looks like a break line just in from that edge on both sides, although it could just be machine marks.

Have no idea how to get the movement out Mark. That's what I really purchased it for (@ £1.60) but the movement is set into a solid piece of brass/bronze so only way I thinks is to remove the stem and try the blow it out method. I will have a little fiddle later on today --- if time!!!

Chinese box puzzle to open, Zodiac dial and...the back looks like a Wok! I love this very versatile watch CB. If it doesn't tell the time and can't get the right zodiac sign as it would be Chinese -- dragon vs. virgo? -- it can always be used for cooking! :)

Just couldn't resist and I DO like it a lot!!

Cheers,

Bob

PS. Let us know what you find inside when you decipher the "Chinese puzzle".  :)

Thanks guys still have not found out how to open it.

For those interested it is actually a 24 Hr watch one revolution of the minute hand is two hours. The hours readings are taken from the inner part of the dial & minutes on the outer. It is running very fast so will try to de=magnetise to sort.

Just not any spare time today or this weekend to fiddle with it.