Sizing A Goliath Pocket Watch Hairspring

Dave84

Hi Everyone

I hope you are all keeping well.

I picked up this Goliath pocket watch this morning as a restoration project but the hairspring is missing.

Can anyone point me in the right direction regarding sizing/selecting a replacement. 

It also has a damaged staff to contend with 🙂

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Dave 

PXL_20220213_121910651.jpg

PXL_20220213_125216760.jpg

PXL_20220213_125532058.jpg

2 hours ago, oldhippy said:

No id at all under the balance cock? If you remove the hands and dial and take photos of the key less work and upload them we might be able to help. 

Nothing obvious under the balance but a 36, and what looks like 141854 under the dial side. Any good ? 

PXL_20220213_164022105.jpg

PXL_20220213_164729965.jpg

Edited by Dave84

It would help if we had a diameter of the pocket watch? Because any of the references we look at are going to ask the size and can't From the picture how big it is?

The balance staff is probably going to be a you get to make one.

Finding the hairspring that's going to be the interesting challenge. Problem with the early manufacturers of watches how many of them thought about stocking spare parts?

8 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

It would help if we had a diameter of the pocket watch? Because any of the references we look at are going to ask the size and can't From the picture how big it is?

The balance staff is probably going to be a you get to make one.

Finding the hairspring that's going to be the interesting challenge. Problem with the early manufacturers of watches how many of them thought about stocking spare parts?

Thanks John

The movement diameter is 40mm. I did think that a new staff wold have to be turned for it. As for the hairspring, that was a concern as I didn't think there would be many spares out there for these things.

Cheers 

Dave  

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Don't give up. You just need patience and practice. Don't use force or try to screw down the plate before making sure everything is in place. My first few watches took me like 45 minutes to get the train wheels in. Now it usually takes me less than a minute. Make sure that all the bottom pivots are in their respective holes before putting on the top plate. Then apply gentle pressure with a pegwood or gloved finger. Start from the barrel, 2nd wheel, 3rd wheel.... and finally the escape wheel. You can feel the plate drop each time you get a pivot in. If you experience the pivots that you have already gotten in coming out of their holes when you work on other wheels down line, you can put 1 or 2 screws nearer the barrel side in but don't exert any force on the screws. Just lightly turn the screws until you feel pressure and backoff 1/4 turn. This will prevent the plates from separating.  I use a homemade tool with a brass wire, shaped like an oiler to lightly touch the wheels to guide them into place. I find that an oiler made of hardened steel can leave scratches on the brass wheels. Once you think you have gotten all the pivots in, test it by using a blower to blow on the escape wheel. It should spin freely. Continue applying pressure on the top plate with the pegwood or finger until you lightly tighten all the screws. Don't tighten fully yet until you reconfirm that the wheels are able to spin freely. And reconfirm again after you have fully tightened all the screws. What you are experiencing is normal. All of us have gone through it. Don't work on watches when you are tired or frustrated. All of us can tell you what that leads to. But I'm sure you'll experience a few hard lessons even after reading this advice. It's only human. Go forth and practice. Good luck!
    • by the way this is very confusing to me? You have a 7s26a and you're comparing it to a 7s26b which is confusing to me because they're not the same? Watch companies are rather amusing when it comes the part numbers seemingly watches with similar  numbers as you're implying should be exactly identical but in this case they are very very dramatically different for instance the 7s26a balance part number is 0310 020 the 7s26b has a different part number 0310 197 as the part numbers are entirely different there must be a reason it noticed that I made two terms in the quote above in bold regulator pins are versus the etachron  system. In addition to changing the regulation part more than likely they change the hairspring. So this would typically main you wouldn't build a swap balance completes from one type to the other because they will be entirely different. this is where looking at the technical guide might yield some amusing information. you'll note in the 7s26b  service guide it explains what the difference is. It makes a reference to the balance staff which is totally inconsequential for this discussion. But the really big difference is the A  version has conventional regulator pins and the B  has is the Etachron  system. In @Jon excellent images up above he didn't explain something? if you look carefully at the images below you'll notice that the outer terminal curve is different  as a guest to accommodate the etachron  system it looks like the terminal curve is farther out. So yes exactly as the parts list indicates the balance completes will look different because they are different. Because they are different there are not interchangeable. so basically because the letter changes at the end in this particular case we end up with two separate balance completes as proven by the parts numbers. Balance completes that are entirely different to accommodate the regulation system conceivably with entirely different characteristics of timing as they are entirely different. So your observation of the balances are different shape is correct they are different.      
    • See, the problem with widening to a little bit wider diam is that the bit will 'grab' too much at a time and will get in too fast by itself, then it will stuck and break imediatey. If enlargening from 0.3 to 0.5 needed, complitelly different drill bit must be made - it must be similar to the ones they use for weapon cannons, with one cutting edge and with angle that will not cut fast. The other option is to enlarge the hole like they do on big lathes with cutter for internal turning, that will be small enough to get in the hole The idea with the plugging could work, but I haven't try it. The pug should be only a little bit softer than the piece and must get in completelly to the botom of the hole.  
    • Thanks for all the comments. I think I'll go back to restoring BMW motorcycles and making model steam engines.  Dave
    • Yep my thoughts the same,  i realised i slipped up with the smaller drill half way through. Out of curiosity if you had to widen a hole, could it be plugged and re- drilled ?