Sizing A Goliath Pocket Watch Hairspring

Dave84

Hi Everyone

I hope you are all keeping well.

I picked up this Goliath pocket watch this morning as a restoration project but the hairspring is missing.

Can anyone point me in the right direction regarding sizing/selecting a replacement. 

It also has a damaged staff to contend with 🙂

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Dave 

PXL_20220213_121910651.jpg

PXL_20220213_125216760.jpg

PXL_20220213_125532058.jpg

2 hours ago, oldhippy said:

No id at all under the balance cock? If you remove the hands and dial and take photos of the key less work and upload them we might be able to help. 

Nothing obvious under the balance but a 36, and what looks like 141854 under the dial side. Any good ? 

PXL_20220213_164022105.jpg

PXL_20220213_164729965.jpg

Edited by Dave84

It would help if we had a diameter of the pocket watch? Because any of the references we look at are going to ask the size and can't From the picture how big it is?

The balance staff is probably going to be a you get to make one.

Finding the hairspring that's going to be the interesting challenge. Problem with the early manufacturers of watches how many of them thought about stocking spare parts?

8 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

It would help if we had a diameter of the pocket watch? Because any of the references we look at are going to ask the size and can't From the picture how big it is?

The balance staff is probably going to be a you get to make one.

Finding the hairspring that's going to be the interesting challenge. Problem with the early manufacturers of watches how many of them thought about stocking spare parts?

Thanks John

The movement diameter is 40mm. I did think that a new staff wold have to be turned for it. As for the hairspring, that was a concern as I didn't think there would be many spares out there for these things.

Cheers 

Dave