Can anyone point me to a good tutorial--written or video--on removing and replacing rubbed in jewels.  I've tried it on my own with a makeshift tool but am not too satisfied with the result.  Although I can get the replacement jewel in, the result is not very pretty.  Maybe there's a tool for doing this job?

Hi Douglas

Rubbed-in jewels are new to me so your question prompted me to look for some information for myself. I imagine that you've been down the same route but I found this snippet which may be useful..

mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?85069-Rubbed-in-jewel-Pocket-watch-tool-question

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
I will put a video together shortly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks big time Mark. Your video on friction jeweling helped me in both purchasing a Seitz Jeweling tool and replacing two jewels on a 7750 Valjoux. Please add a section on sizing the jewel, both diameter and hole size. This is very tricky.

The rub-in video is edited, I will put it out when I get back from holiday

Thanks Mark, it is really appreciated. I will wait for your video prior to tr placing the Elgin picked watch cracked jewel. I am Canadian and appreciate info from the motherland :)

6 hours ago, jdrichard said:

I am in a wait mode. Wonder if I can use a flat jewel when the cracked one looks like in has a raised bowel?

best to replace like for like. They is almost no price difference.

So what I did was size a similar jewel as the cracked one. Now the new one was not the domed shaped one that would perfectly fit and be rubbed in, however, this watch was not a high end one and I did not want to spend the money to get the exact fit jewel. I did make sure the hole was the right size and the end shake and side shaje were acceptable. I pushed the New jewel into the plate hole after widening the hole just a bit. The jewel was not tightly secured into the hole but I knew that the 3rd wheel does not spin fast and the wheel with the plate on top would be good enough to keep the jewel in place. Next I put a little power into the Mainspring and the whole lot turned nicely. I then reassemble the rest of the pocket watch and then discovered that when I tightened down the screw on the balance cock that the balance would stop. It looked like someone had bent the end of the balance cock in the past so I removed the balance cock and with a pair of fine pliers grabbed the end with the back end between my finger and thumb and I bend it back just a bit. I then reassembled the balance cock and it started ticking. The amplitude is around 270 which is not bad. The movement is now running and I will assemble the rest after it runs for 12 hours or so. This was a very difficult job but I did learn a lot. Hope my jewel fix continues to work well.https://vimeo.com/193202969

• 4 weeks later...