Repairing a hand...impossible...diving catch in the end zone. Grrrrrrr!!!!!!

12 hours ago, LittleWatchShop said:

Kicking myself in the @ss for this screwup.  Finger slipped...the break is right at the rectangle.

So, I have nothing to lose in trying.  Any ideas? 

I can by a new set of these pencil hands for $125...lol.

2021-10-13 17_03_17-20211013_165508-1.jpg ‎- Photos.png

The only way is to purchase a new hand. It’s really not worth the time and effort to save a couple of dollars. 

OK, this is a lousy picture (focus) but you get the idea of using two jewelers hand vises, each holding respective parts of the hand.  Rodico holds the vise steady and adjusts for height--tricky. I put flux and some solder past on the hand and hit it with a torch.  Soldering iron could not get the solder flow, thus the torch.

It is now soaking in acetone/IPA.  Stay tuned.

2021-10-14 07_19_34-20211014_071305.jpg ‎- Photos.png

4 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

The torch unless it has a fine flame might be a bit fierce, if you have a heat gun it may be better. dont forget the heat protective mat though.

Indeed!  I have made that mistake in the past.  I kept the flame at a distance and just passed it over quickly.  I have a heat gun...actually a hot-air desoldering station.  That would have been a better idea now that you mention it.

59 minutes ago, LittleWatchShop said:

At this point I am going to leave it alone for a bit.  Wondering how to get the silver color back.  For another day.

2021-10-14 09_09_14-IMG_7494.JPG ‎- Photos.png

https://www.watchrepairtalk.com/topic/18439-silvering-recipes/#comment-157746

I haven't done this yet myself, but I've accumulated all the chemicals and materials (I think), and I'll be doing so when some bandwidth opens up. It appears to be intended for dials, and I need to do it on some cases. Seems you'd be in a similar state, but with much less material and more finesse.

Edited by spectre6000