Maybe I’ve got a little carried away but I’ve just bought myself a secondhand Lathe as I knew I would buy one sooner or later. It’s a Boley and Leinen Reform Lathe but I only have the one Collett it came with.
I’ve measured the shank of the Collett and appears to be 5mm, does this sound correct? If so, there seems to be only a limited amount, if any at all, available to buy at that size. It appears that 8mm is the popular size.

Could anyone recommend anywhere I could go to add to my collection 

Thanks

Mick

20 minutes ago, Mike1980 said:

Maybe I’ve got a little carried away but I’ve just bought myself a secondhand Lathe as I knew I would buy one sooner or later. It’s a Boley and Leinen Reform Lathe but I only have the one Collett it came with.
I’ve measured the shank of the Collett and appears to be 5mm, does this sound correct? If so, there seems to be only a limited amount, if any at all, available to buy at that size. It appears that 8mm is the popular size.

Could anyone recommend anywhere I could go to add to my collection 

Thanks

Mick

6 or 8; likely 8

Have a look here, you may be able to identify exactly what you've got.

Not sure that anything listed correspond to 5mm though.

I'm not aware of any lathe that takes a 5mm collet. Some take P4.5 collets in tailstock runners (Steiner/Horia for example).

All the Boley Leinens I've seen or read about have been 8mm. How are you measuring?

…..I must apologise. After a reinvestigation and spending more time with with it, I realised that I’d measured incorrectly….it’s definitely 8mm which makes things a lot easier
Thank you all for your help guys, it’s really appreciated.

Mick

Lathe collects have different threads pitches etc. See this scruffy pic from my wall which has the relevant cross ref info. When purchasing collects from a watch / clock fair always take your draw bar to check the fitting.

A way around this issue , which and I have tried is to purchase the new Chinese  collets sold on eBay. However you also have to purchase the draw bar to match the thread. The problem I found is the draw bar is very poor quality and I had to modify it and also the collets although they work they do not sit flush. If you decide to try this and want a good quality draw bar the owner of pennyfarthing tools makes them to order.

ABD5E57C-3F87-4900-BFEC-16710223AB88.thumb.jpeg.4e010489556bc0f60dd12274ae138e6f.jpeg

43 minutes ago, Mike1980 said:

…..I must apologise. After a reinvestigation and spending more time with with it, I realised that I’d measured incorrectly….it’s definitely 8mm which makes things a lot easier
Thank you all for your help guys, it’s really appreciated.

Mick

In that case your options are open to building a set, there are loads of new and used on ebay. If you buy second hand be careful making sure  they haven't had there jaws forced, easy to tell because if they are not holding anything they don't close correctly. 

Boley Leinen drawbars are pretty open minded, I've used them with Schaublin, Boley Leinen, G. Boley, Bergeon, Levin, Paulson (actually rebadged  Boley Leinen), Webster Whitcomb, and a few others I can't remember. I know that Lorch collets tend to work really only with Lorch lathes, as I recall the thread diameter is a bit big for most others. Clockboy's list is pretty good, but has at least one error (every one I have seen has had errors)- Schaublin B8 collets are 0.625mm pitch, like Ramseyer.

In my experience the difference between 0.625mm and 0.635mm pitch (which is 40tpi) is so small it doesn't matter. What matters more is the actual thread diameter- some like to bind up.