Greetings and an Introduction

Hello to all!

Call me "Imp" if you like, my actual name, Mark, is the same as our benevolent host! I'm coming in from a whirlwind tour of the Internet, most particularly YouTube, sparked by my lifelong fascination with watches and other timepieces; one which, until now, I've not had the time or organization to be able to satisfy. Really fell down the horological rabbit hole, tho, and I don't think there is any turning back now.... 🙂 There's something magical about watches, almost as if time itself is captured within the inner workings. On a pragmatic level, I'm now able to devote some time and resources to watchmaking as a hobby. I'm not looking to be a professional.....my day job is heart surgery.......but I'd love to be able to purchase watches that have seen better days and restore them, or service a watch for a friend/relative/myself. 

Currently the only timepiece I have worth mentioning is a Citizen Skyhawk AT Titanium Blue Angels edition, and a soon to be delivered Seiko 5 SNK807 containing a 7s26 caliber to play with when I'm ready.  

My plan is to use Mark's recommendations and those of others to order basic tools (and yes, I'm going for the "good stuff"), though hopefully a limited set until I see what I'll need for my intended endeavors. Also on the way are a couple of Seagull movements...an ST3621 (clone of ETA 6498) and an ST2130 (clone of ETA 2824-2) to play with.

Anyway, this is getting long. I've a few more tools to purchase, some consumables (notably oils) to grab, and then I'm going to get started with Mark's courses. Looks like a very enjoyable time ahead, and I'm glad to have found this forum!

Cheers!

Imp

1 hour ago, Imparatus said:

soon to be delivered Seiko 5 SNK807 containing a 7s26 caliber to play with when I'm ready.  

Why playing with a working watch, which in most cases gets destroyed by beginner's hands?

If you like Seiko mov.t you can learn on them buying cheap lots, lose mov.ts, etc. Even a brand new NH35 for USD25 is better that attacking a perfectly working watch.

Oh, I don't have any intention of messing with the Seiko until I've finished working with cadaver watches/movements......LOL. I'll plan to wear it it and use it for what it was meant to do until such time as I deem my n00b skills worthy to actually operate on a living watch. 

Imp

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...