New Member.

Hello to everyone, I'd like to introduce myself, I have enjoyed viewing watch repair videos for the past few years on y/t and have decided to take a first step in attempting or exploring the innards of watches for myself. 

I bought an amazon kit... I know, they are not the best about yet until I get hold of a watch or two to take apart and have a poke around I'm not even a beginner. The kit has arrived the watches should be delivered in a few more days / week. 

Any suggestions regarding reading material would be greatly appreciated. 

Kindest regards

t&t. 

Thank you for your introduction and welcome to this friendly forum.

I always recommend members to start with a pocket watch, they are bigger most are much like a watch, get to know the parts and how they come apart and go back together. It's good practise to learn how to use your screwdrivers, tweezers and eye glass. You don't need to get it going just use it to practise on. You might find this handy.  

1033305402_TZIllustratedGlossary(1).pdf

Hi old-hippy thanks for that, I had taken a look around online for something exactly like the TZ illustrated Glossary, I found a few books on the open library published in the late 1800's aimed toward jewellers and watchmakers of that time. Interesting for sure but not ideal for a modern day beginner. 

I will read through them later on but for now the TZ illustrated seems to be everything I had hoped to find at this stage. I should have a couple of 'sold for parts' pocket watches arrive in a few days and they were bought to act just as you suggest, to be taken apart and gain a feel for the tools. To join theory and practise. First steps. 

Kindest regards

Hello watch weasol, thank you for your reply and for the two additional attachments. I have been holding onto an old Seiko quartz watch that stopped running a few years back. I got it as a b/d gift so reluctant to throw it. To have it repaired via a jewellers would cost almost the price of a new watch... I suppose that's what they would do, a complete new movement in the old case, with service charges along each step from shop front to factory / repair centre. 

I think I'll wait some more, maybe have a go at repairing it or at least assess why it won't work. Having removed and replaced a few sets of watch hands and dials, for initial learning experience, changing them on my old Seiko shouldn't be too overwhelming in a movement swap.

Once again, many thanks for your reply and attachments

kindest regards