Roller Jewels

Welcome to the forum. Have a similar conundrum with an Omega 19''', I presume these took an oval jewel and have been searching for a couple of years now. No luck yet.

Hello Blacklab , thank you for your reply. Yes, it is very hard to find. I tried ebay and some UK web site. No luck yet  :D

Unfortunately, although Cousins do sell them, I don't think they sell anything large enough for this size. The shape is also a problem.

I might try and experiment to see if a D shape would work out (well secured with shellac), but because of the size - unless you can find NOS then you may have to look though your scrap movement box for something suitable.

Making one may be the only guaranteed way to get what you want, but this is quite a skill and a lot of polishing.

You can purchase them from Cousins but I am not sure how to measure to order the correct size. Someone else on the forum might be able to advise. I have replaced a loose roller jewel and used shellac to attach.

Thank you Clockboy, I found D shape roller jewel in Cousins. It is helpful .Maybe I might try D shape. Thank you

I think it should measured the gap in the lever fork

Unfortunately, although Cousins do sell them, I don't think they sell anything large enough for this size. The shape is also a problem.

I might try and experiment to see if a D shape would work out (well secured with shellac), but because of the size - unless you can find NOS then you may have to look though your scrap movement box for something suitable.

Making one may be the only guaranteed way to get what you want, but this is quite a skill and a lot of polishing.

Thank you Mark, making a jewel is too difficult to me.  I am not sure yet ....maybe... I might try 2 pcs of D shape combine into 1 by polish the flat surface.

• 4 months later...

I finally found the roller jewel and fixed the watch, It is working now, However, my timing machine could not  detect the watch as unknow amplify (I guess). Does anyone know about the amplify? 18000? 19800? .....?

I share more photos here. thank you.

post-768-0-30634200-1441591667.jpg

post-768-0-93836900-1441591527_thumb.jpg

post-768-0-16917300-1441591533_thumb.jpg

post-768-0-86074900-1441591537_thumb.jpg

post-768-0-11522100-1441591546_thumb.jpg

post-768-0-10297000-1441591547_thumb.jpg

post-768-0-23378500-1441591549_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum. Have a similar conundrum with an Omega 19''', I presume these took an oval jewel and have been searching for a couple of years now. No luck yet.

Hi Blacklab, please let me know the oval jewel width you need. I have a few here but not sure if it suit for you.  

Great work, great watch & even a better offer, thanks. I am looking for a 0.58mm or possibly a 0.56mm (my measurements  may be a bit out).

Unfortunately, I do not have your dimension jewel. 

Please try the below ebay...ask him what you  need..... should have it. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/POCKET-WATCH-BALANCE-JEWEL-IMPULSE-PINS-OVAL-ROLLER-JEWELS-10-ONLY-/391249858904?hash=item5b184f1158

Edited by avkxyz

• 2 weeks later...

You have probably noticed that your pocket watch has a Chinese inscription on the plate, near the case hinge.  As luck would have it, I've been studying Chinese at the local university.  I asked my teacher what the inscription means.  She said that it means "give authority."  In Chinese, there is no conjugation of verbs, so one cannot tell who is being described as giving authority, or even whether the inscription is in the imperative mood.  I'd like to think that it means that the watch can be relied on because it gives an authoritative reporting of the time.  But for all I know, it is nothing more than the name of the manufacturer.  

avkxyz, there must be a story behind this watch.  At least here in the United States, one doesn't run across antique Chinese pocket watches every day.  What's the story of this one?

Wow, that's a beauty!  I've never seen a pallet shaped like that.  What's the function of the part opposite the fork end of the pallet?

It's nothing more than for decoration. That jewel for the impulse pin is in fact a very common shape in old P/W's. In the verge type the pillars have some wonderful decoration the same with the balance cocks, people just collect balance cocks and make necklaces out of them. the other thing to look out for is the end stone there are some great looking ones attached to the balance cocks.