New type of balance

This is the kind of thing that gets me the most excited. Super interesting. Opens the door to a lot of really thin movements. There's an animation in there of the gear train plan relative to one with a lever, and it's painfully obvious that zero effort was given to make it flat. It looks very much like they adapted an existing movement. That price point is also pretty attractive. I wonder if it has a sound as well. 40hz is an audible frequency, but the low mass and low amplitude of the oscillator may mean it can't be heard. That suspicion is doubled with their use of a laser for regulation since a more conventional system would be easy, accurate, and inexpensive. 

Having spent the last 45 years as a technologist, seeing novel innovations like this is exciting.  However, technology for the sake of itself may be little more than titillating.

So...what have they done with this new innovation?  Well, they merged two established arts: mechanical movements, with MEMs ((microelectromechanical systems) technology.  MEMs stands on the shoulders of 60 years of silicon (not silicone, btw) fabrication technology. All of you have MEMs in your life already.  It is in every one of your phones.  Some of you (on another thread) are playing with MEMs microphones for watch timers.

If it sounds like I am dumping on these guys, I am not.  This is clever innovation.

One market served by this innovation is the one where people desire a sweep second hand in a thin, low-power watch.  This is the niche where they will thrive IMO.  Accutron was the early sweep solution, but there were problems.  Accutron now has a high-frequency watch with a sweep second, but I think it is power hungry and thick (correct me if I am wrong...going from memory). Is there another sweep-second solution out there? 

I have a friend who wears a Rolex.  Probably worth 15 grand.  Sends it in once a year for service at $600 a pop.  There is much I do not understand about this business!!

It will be not too far in the future where the whole watch is silicon based and not able to be repaired as they will be sealed units and the complete module will be a plug in. We are nearly there with the quartz watch as is but we still have to change the dial and hands over so some semi skilled human intervention is called for  The future watch will be complete with dial and hands and a lifetime powercell which will be self charging, most likely via solar power. So what impact will it have on the business,  Much the same as the business model being applied now by SWATCH, all modules will be changed by the factory or their agents/sales out lets. As there will be no parts exchange there can and will not be any protest such as the present SWATCH/Cousins action and therefore the manufacturer will have total control on the product from beginning to end. A daunting prospect. To assuage the green lobby/climate change people the whole spent module will be recycleable thereby enhancing their GREEN image as an industry. probably on an exchange basis, send the old one in and get a discount on the new one.  Whats your opinion.

That is close,  being as it is a multipurpose computer, I was thinking more on the traditional lines It looks like an analogue watch. It contains all the functions of the traditional watch but modular. completer with dial and hands. There are people who prefer the traditional look. Apple watches and their kin are not really appealing to look at.

On 3/26/2021 at 11:45 PM, LittleWatchShop said:

Having spent the last 45 years as a technologist, seeing novel innovations like this is exciting.  However, technology for the sake of itself may be little more than titillating.

So...what have they done with this new innovation?  Well, they merged two established arts: mechanical movements, with MEMs ((microelectromechanical systems) technology.  MEMs stands on the shoulders of 60 years of silicon (not silicone, btw) fabrication technology. All of you have MEMs in your life already.  It is in every one of your phones.  Some of you (on another thread) are playing with MEMs microphones for watch timers.

If it sounds like I am dumping on these guys, I am not.  This is clever innovation.

One market served by this innovation is the one where people desire a sweep second hand in a thin, low-power watch.  This is the niche where they will thrive IMO.  Accutron was the early sweep solution, but there were problems.  Accutron now has a high-frequency watch with a sweep second, but I think it is power hungry and thick (correct me if I am wrong...going from memory). Is there another sweep-second solution out there? 

I have a friend who wears a Rolex.  Probably worth 15 grand.  Sends it in once a year for service at $600 a pop.  There is much I do not understand about this business!!

Seiko spring drive