Best type of tool for these types of wheels

Hello! I'm not sure what it's called when the wheels aren't held in by a bridge but pressure fit on the outside of the plates (see photos). So I guess my first question is what is this type of wheel referred to as, and also what is the best tool to safely remove them?  Thank you!

PXL_20210317_145912470~2.jpg

Dr ranfft reffers to this as " independently driven minute wheel".

Following the tear down, I put the train bridge ( with this wheel attached) back on the mainplate, give it four cleans in ultrasonic and call it cleaned. 

I do not remove this wheel unless there is a need to replace a faulty part.

what kinda side shake on the driver arbour do you feel? 

Do you have a staking set? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are different Bergeon Presto type tools for wheels with 5 and 6 spokes.

They do a cheaper option :  https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/wheel-hand-roller-remover-bergeon

I have removed them by using razor blades slid under the wheel (and some tissue paper to protect the bridge)

Or, as @Nucejoe suggests, leave them attached to the bridge if you can.

• Thanks 1

If you happen to bend the driver arbour the slightest, you have created a problem of depthing between the driver and seconds wheel, so if you have not yet mastered fitting the wheel on arbour with your staking set, I think twice .....

I have seen driver wheels get loose off the arbour specially in cases that driver wheel has previously  been removed/ replaced couple times, even peening the center hole on the driver wheel doesn't gurantee much.

In my neck of the woods, the wheel usually gets replaced with a new one on high end watches. 

So if side shake on the arbour isn't alerting and all else checks out alright, why bother or creat a problem for yourself, you can always go back if your TG said something is wrong.

I usually inspect the hole arbour goes in, under good magnification for signs of previous removals.

Regs

Joe

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

Dr ranfft reffers to this as " independently driven minute wheel".

Following the tear down, I put the train bridge ( with this wheel attached) back on the mainplate, give it four cleans in ultrasonic and call it cleaned. 

I do not remove this wheel unless there is a need to replace a faulty part.

what kinda side shake on the driver arbour do you feel? 

Do you have a staking set? 

Ok I will first try cleaning without removing from the bridge. Thank you! I actually have a staking set coming in the mail next week!