Historic watchmaker?

It sometimes amazes me the condition watches get into. This is a friend's pocket watch; no hands, no crystal, signs of moisture in the movement. I am wondering if anyone is knowledgeable about this maker-A Thomas of Aldersgate Street. I haven't yet been able to ascertain the date of manufacture from the hallmarks.

Happ new year to all.

1-Dial.JPG

6-Hallmarks.JPG

5a-Cover removed.JPG

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fjseal said:

I haven't yet been able to ascertain the date of manufacture from the hallmarks.

I was going to give you a bad time about the fact that there are websites that would help you identify the marks except? I looked at one of them and found a little information but I discovered that most of them really suck. I hate when you go to a website that has just enough information to be findable but not enough information to be helpful.

somewhere around here I have a book that has all the marks which agreement better than the fuzzy pictures online. I is have to remember which book it was in and find it probably much later today

in the meantime the link below looks better. So a lien on top refers to sterling silver and London sort of. You'll notice it's both the London Mark and the silver market the same time? But I found this on one of the other websites lion passant (facing left) mark (London and other English Assay Offices).

Then the sword with the three blobs blobs art's post be blobs but they're pretty poorly made are supposed to be as a guess the city of Chester. then it looks like each the cities may have a separate date:.

I'm snipping out an image the letter R is the date code and the other way decipher it is the background symbol lettuce on and the images to fuzzy except I really go with the later date for other reasons.

Then the initials are the makers Mark.which I'm conveniently not finding but that doesn't mean much. You might have to go through all the cities and see if you find anyone with the same initials. The other problem with websites like this is is for silverware not watch case's.

One of the reasons I'm dating the watch later or the symbols later is that it has a safety pinion which is labeled on the movement as reversing pinion. This is a safety feature in case the mainspring breaks you could probably get a clue of from one that came into existence.

https://www.925-1000.com/british_marks.html

I was wondering if "1917" is the current guess at the year of manufacture on this watch.  I do not presume to be an authority, but when I see a key wind with key set on dial, I usually take a guess at 1840 to 1870 and given time I could maybe narrow it down a bit more.  So, call it a hunch, but anywhere circa 1900s seems a bit late for this old girl. 

But I think I may look into the reversing pinion feature also.  I wondered how far back that idea went.

EDIT: Nevermind what I asked.  I forgot this was English.  They clung to the key wind-key set arrangement far later than most.  I apologize; I may be useless in helping date this one.

Edited by KarlvonKoln