Seiko 6139 Crown Stem Doesn't Hold

Hello, I removed the movement of this 6139 watch to replace the chronograph minute hand. The stem is removed by pushing a little button inside a tiny hole and pulling. Now when I put it back the stem goes all the way in, it isn't blocked I can put it all in and out. Any advice?

You need to press down with a fine point at the indentation in the hole just to the right of the spring end on the left of the crown.  If you cannot see this then pull the crown out until it appears. 

If you cannot do this ten you will have to disassemble the movent on the dial side.  If you have no experience of this then do not do as the chrono second hand has a special fitting method and the related jewel can be dislodged!. 

The are several videos (search seiko 6139) on youtube of this movement which may also help.

post-272-0-56711500-1426796179_thumb.jpg

Hmm, maybe I didn't explain it clearly on the first post. I know about that button, the button in the hole. As you can see from my picture it seems mine remains pushed.

I was able to remove the dial but what should I do after? I can see the day / date wheels, how do I go about releasing the lever mechanism?

Thanks

MeHoaiY.jpg

yes, those videos are all disassembly from the back. However I tried and removed the dial and date wheels and was able to unlock that lever. However everytime I push the button again I need to unlock the lever under the dial, so now I remounted everything and it's working but I need to change the chronogprah minutes hands as it doesn't stay there, I think maybe a split tube. So whenever I will change that I will have to get to the back of the dial again.

This is not really a project for the inexperienced.

It looks like the movement could do with a good service anyway as it appears to be very dirty re the pic. 

If the chrono second hand is loose then it maybe needs a really good push to seat it properly and this is why the jewel needs to be supported as it may push out.  The tube may well be split and I would check this under high magnification because new hands are extremely rare, if even available, and a new hand will require high force to seat it properly, so a sound old hand is likely to be better.  The chrono wheel/pinion could also be damaged and be the reason the hand will not fix properly (these are available but check carefully as there are differences depending on calibre and build.

The videos on youtube are very useful but they do have some errors in disassembly/assembly processes, and fitting of springs, so be careful.  I would advise using the seiko service/parts info you already have and follow their disassembly/assembly procedure.

This movement is quite complex and there are some screws that must NOT be turned/removed as they are only for setting the chrono functionality, these are clearly indicated in the seiko data.  If you are going to proceed then research thoroughly,take plenty of pics and make notes.  The seiko watch forum (www.thewatchsite.com) has more info if you search for 'Seiko 6139', 'Seiko 6139B' and 'Seiko 6139B mainspring'.

Hope this helps a little.

• Like 1

Hi , I just joined this forum tonight and am not sure if I am adding the link or attachment correctly but I believe the problem you are having with the stem is covered here . If it doesn't open for you you can go to that forum and search for this amateurs guide . Good Luck....

Seiko Calibre 6139 Amateurs Guide

From a post in SCWF , the SEIKO CITIZEN WATCH FORUM ....http://Polly's 6139 guide-1.pdf