How does this bezel fit?

Bradders

Total newbie question (I think).

This watch is nothing special but it used to belong to my late Dad. It has a 17 jewel Basis movement in it which, from some searching is apparently the same as an ETA2824. The dial measures 28mm so I imagine I could easily buy a cheap 36mm Datejust style case for it but I’d like to keep it as much ‘My Dads’ watch as possible.

The crystal on it is actually plastic. It and the bezel came off totally and a jewellers locally had a matching replacement plastic crystal which appears to push-fit on (externally, by hand) snugly. I have no idea how the bezel fits. Is it supposed to be pressed on and that’s what keeps the plastic crystal falling out? Or is it to be glued? The inside edge of the bezel has a totally flat profile. 

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I’d like to avoid using a new case. 

Si

F789806F-4EC2-416B-A149-EA88299D7C3D.jpeg

F6D6E973-21D0-4B49-BEB0-DD4E77C3073A.jpeg

Edited by Bradders

Hi Bradders does the bezel fit over the crystal? If not then a crystal should be fitted inside of the case edge. If the bezel fits that bezel does not hold the crystal in place, the bezel is very delicate and can be broken in half very easily. Just clean up the surfaces with some alcohol gently gently and use this glue in minute amounts and it can easily be removed if needed. Or use a similar contact adhesive. The on in the photo dries clear. Do not use superglue on any watch part hope this helps. Ps your dad's watch is special I am glad you want to keep it original. 

16042774985241866342411308313918.jpg

Edited by Graziano

9 hours ago, Graziano said:

Hi Bradders does the bezel fit over the crystal? If not then a crystal should be fitted inside of the case edge. If the bezel fits that bezel does not hold the crystal in place, the bezel is very delicate and can be broken in half very easily. Just clean up the surfaces with some alcohol gently gently and use this glue in minute amounts and it can easily be removed if needed. Or use a similar contact adhesive. The on in the photo dries clear. Do not use superglue on any watch part hope this helps. Ps your dad's watch is special I am glad you want to keep it original. 

16042774985241866342411308313918.jpg

Thanks for your reply!

The original crystal and the new one both fit over the top of the case (not pressed in).

The external diameter of the origin crystal matches the internal diameter of the bezel meaning it fits perfectly but I have no idea how it was secured. 

However the new crystal is slightly bigger externally than the original meaning the bezel either needs gluing or pressing to secure it. Or should I just be trying to find a replacement acrylic crystal that matches the old one both internally and externally? 

2 hours ago, Bradders said:

Thanks for your reply!

The original crystal and the new one both fit over the top of the case (not pressed in).

The external diameter of the origin crystal matches the internal diameter of the bezel meaning it fits perfectly but I have no idea how it was secured. 

However the new crystal is slightly bigger externally than the original meaning the bezel either needs gluing or pressing to secure it. Or should I just be trying to find a replacement acrylic crystal that matches the old one both internally and externally? 

Hi, if where my dad's watch I would try and return it to its original state. My advice would be to have an original sized crystal in place. Those bezels are  a dress bezel and can brake if forced. The crystal looks like it is pressed over the case, but if it's larger in diameter than the bezel then don't press the bezel over it if it's to tight. Hope this helps 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Graziano said:

Hi, if where my dad's watch I would try and return it to its original state. My advice would be to have an original sized crystal in place. Those bezels are  a dress bezel and can brake if forced. The crystal looks like it is pressed over the case, but if it's larger in diameter than the bezel then don't press the bezel over it if it's to tight. Hope this helps 

You’re right I think it’s wise to just try and get an acrylic that matches the old one both internally AND externally and then use an adhesive to hold both in place. 

1 minute ago, Bradders said:

You’re right I think it’s wise to just try and get an acrylic that matches the old one both internally AND externally and then use an adhesive to hold both in place. 

If you get the correct crystal it should not need gluing, there usually put in with a crystal lift or a press, sometimes those bezels are pressed in but be careful. Have a good look under magnification and see if there's a lip around the edge of the case where it goes. If there isn't a lip then glue is ok. The one in the picture is cheap and available at any tool or hobby shop or watch material house. 

3 hours ago, Graziano said:

If you get the correct crystal it should not need gluing, there usually put in with a crystal lift or a press, sometimes those bezels are pressed in but be careful. Have a good look under magnification and see if there's a lip around the edge of the case where it goes. If there isn't a lip then glue is ok. The one in the picture is cheap and available at any tool or hobby shop or watch material house. 

Good shout! No lip on the case so it must be a glued acrylic I guess.

By my measuring it needs to be 31.6mm internal and no bigger than 33mm external to accommodate the bezel. 

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply. 

My Dad died when I was 6 and this is the only thing I have. I recently acquired it so

its nice that it coincides with my new interest!

Just now, Bradders said:

Good shout! No lip on the case so it must be a glued acrylic I guess.

By my measuring it needs to be 31.6mm internal and no bigger than 33mm external to accommodate the bezel. 

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply. 

My Dad died when I was 6 and this is the only thing I have. I recently acquired it so

its nice that it coincides with my new interest!

(And no, he didn’t hide this watch “up his ass” Pulp Fiction style before you ask lol)

• Like 1

Hi Bradders,

If your new crystal is just slightly bigger than the original one it still can be good. I am happy if someone corrects me on this but the old crystal is likely "set", meaning that it stuck in its pressed state and originally had slightly bigger diameter. What does slightly exactly mean in mm? I cannot provide crystals in the size you require - answering your question you asked me on a different platform -, I noticed that I have nothing between 32.4 and 35.0 and even if I would the internal height still would be a question mark. Cousins have sternkreuz HW above 32.4, the internal height would be likely good, but I cannot say that the crystal profile what sternkreuz HW has what you need.

Best regards,

lui

Edited by luiazazrambo

6 hours ago, Bradders said:

Having done a bit of extra Googling, I’m wondering if this is a ‘bezel fit’ crystal? Does the bezel act as a tension ring to hold it all together?

This one is a dress bezel looks the same but broken ? I will glue this one 

16043677621093899498896176562632.jpg

1604367861527345329917826690039.jpg

16 hours ago, luiazazrambo said:

Hi Bradders,

If your new crystal is just slightly bigger than the original one it still can be good. I am happy if someone corrects me on this but the old crystal is likely "set", meaning that it stuck in its pressed state and originally had slightly bigger diameter. What does slightly exactly mean in mm? I cannot provide crystals in the size you require - answering your question you asked me on a different platform -, I noticed that I have nothing between 32.4 and 35.0 and even if I would the internal height still would be a question mark. Cousins have sternkreuz HW above 32.4, the internal height would be likely good, but I cannot say that the crystal profile what sternkreuz HW has what you need.

Best regards,

lui

I might just have to try a few crystals. As long as they fit over the case AND the bezel fits around it properly, I’m prepared to use adhesive to secure them. 

21 hours ago, Bradders said:

Having done a bit of extra Googling, I’m wondering if this is a ‘bezel fit’ crystal? Does the bezel act as a tension ring to hold it all together?

This is what it seems like. It doesn't seem likely that you will find a perfect crystal that matches both the required ID and OD; in cases like this I will turn up what's called a friction chuck, usually in Delrin, snap the crystal onto that, then with an extremely sharp tool in the lathe trim the outside (or inside as needed, in that case the chuck is a friction fit on the OD). If it is a snug fit on the case already then you won't want more than perhaps 0.05mm interference, i.e. your crystal OD should be that much bigger than the ID of your bezel. Even a little less as you will be checking the crystal on the friction chuck in an already expanded state.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nickelsilver said:

This is what it seems like. It doesn't seem likely that you will find a perfect crystal that matches both the required ID and OD; in cases like this I will turn up what's called a friction chuck, usually in Delrin, snap the crystal onto that, then with an extremely sharp tool in the lathe trim the outside (or inside as needed, in that case the chuck is a friction fit on the OD). If it is a snug fit on the case already then you won't want more than perhaps 0.05mm interference, i.e. your crystal OD should be that much bigger than the ID of your bezel. Even a little less as you will be checking the crystal on the friction chuck in an already expanded state.

Not having access to these sort of tools, I’ll probably resort to wet and dry paper to slim down the circumference of the acrylic crystal to accommodate the bezel and then use cement to secure both.