NWTech

Hi, my name is Paul and I’m a independent watch repairer. I have been repairing watches for 2 years only. I have come across a really unique looking watch and would like some advice on how to diagnose the problem and fix it. I believe somebody has already looked at this watch and damaged the hair spring beyond repair. Finding a complete balance set is proving difficult 

• 4 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Thinking.  Mark has said he would be here for the foreseeable.  I have looked at other watch forums. One will not let me join as my 'browser' is not set? Another feels very complicated. Another has showing of collections of Rolex etc, all vying to show what they have. Not what they do for watch servicing. And, the criticism of others is so prevalent.  I asked a question and received, "Read a book more often" as a reply. I was given advice and constructive criticism by members, who advised the book, but realised as a result of my dyslexia, my difficulties. And so spent time assisting me.  I like and enjoy this forum. I am at 2 1/2 years into my self imposed 5 year apprenticeship. Averaging 10 hrs per week. I can do virtually anything that needs to be done. I still lack some tools. DIY skills makes a lot of things available to me. Someone made the comment about 'Facebook'? Open my life for the inspection of others? No thank you.
    • Come on chaps i need some ideas, i have the right staff for the movement, i can probably make up another hairspring and balance wheel with some effort involved, which might not run time accurate but i can deal with that. What I'm really stuck with is an oversized roller hole to fit onto the staff. I cant make a roller, so i have to make this one fit, which is looking like a fastening in repair with adhesive.  Getting the staff in centrally is going to be difficult, I'm guessing the space around the staff is about 50 microns. My other option is to track down a different staff with a better roller fitting profile but match profile sizes elsewhere,  or another correct roller, I'm sure this one has been broached out. It may not even be the correct roller, the staff sits really low inside it. I could just rodico the roller on and then test to see how it interacts with the fork.
    • I've looked, they don't seem to make the same type anymore. 
    • I doubt you will find an original, i do have a 59 in a different case , I'll have to dig it out and have a look . I think you are stuck with manufacturing something. 
    • I think my missus is mad ironing clothes,  but what do i know ?