Experience Is Helping!

I have disassembled another watch, oiled it and reassembled. The Imperial on the post here. The GP continues to run fast but the Imperial is has kept time with the computer the last two days. While this is a great accomplishment it isn't without issue. I shot the click spring across the world and cannot locate it anywhere. So, if anyone sees a click spring from an Imperial Model 14 movement 1405 it is mine! Should anyone run across an inexpensive donor please send me a message. While they seem like small achievements they are rewarding!

Now I want to work on an old Seiko kinetic that the oscillating weight came apart 10 years ago and has been in th drawer?

Thank you all for the encouragement, advice, sharing and support. For those out there just starting, keep up and walk away the come up! It will get easier!

Thank you!

Garypost-337-0-48508500-1424588447_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Gary,

Great job on the watches. Pity you lost a click spring. Maybe you'll find it, usually when looking for another part that also pinged away.

For that Kinetic, you might want to replace the capacitor. It comes in a kit. The old capacitor had a problem and the new one is an upgrade that it is said works better. In any case, to charge inexpensively, you can place the watch on a toothbrush charger (those Braun electrical toothbrushes) or on an Imageo lamp charger. As we "talk", I'm charging a kinetic -- I just restored -- with my toothbrush!

In any case, let us know how you get on with the repair!

Cheers,

Bob

Edited by bobm12
  • Like 1

Toothbrush tool and watch being charged (sorry for the rush pic, too messy and edited, it is a make do thing!

post-253-0-52130000-1424625456_thumb.jpg

Which proves that there is no limit to the tools of the trade. :)

Cheers,

Bob

PS. After previewing it I realized it doesn't look like a toothbrush charger...but it is, take my word for it... :)

Gary if you knew the many, many times I've lost and then found a part days later you'd be shocked. Bob is right about finding one part when another gets lost. I found an escape wheel (from a Bulova) a crown wheel (don't know from where) and a click spring ( I think its from a Sicura) under my futon while looking for a KIF spring the other night. I NEVER find KIF springs once they escape the Earths gravitational field.

JC

Well, I found the balance cock screw from the Benrus and the seconds hand (SMALL seconds hand). Now if I can find the click spring for the Wittnauer and the Imperial I will be good. But I did find 100 count replacements that I may be able to shape into one. We shall see.

I am thinking of spraying the walls with an adhesive to combat  future flying parts.