Intro and Q

jerryk

Hello,

I've been playing with watches at a very basic level for a couple of years.  Changing the batteries, replacing crystals, that sort of thing.  I have a bit of background at working with small stuff   - electronics fabrication.    That hobby gifted me with a nice stereo microscope.  Well, actually it was the local tech fleamarket.   I'm ready to step it up a little....

...Back around 1983, I bought my wife a nice Seiko lady's watch for her birthday.    I seem to remember paying $250 for it.  ( $650 in 2020 dollars ).   It was a 7n83 with a diamond at the 12 o'clock position.    Over the years, I have changed the battery when it needed it.  Last year, I replaced the scratched mineral crystal with a sapphire one.    When the bracelet broke I searched for a replacement - and found that the easiest and most cost effective thing was to buy parts watches on Ebay.

Now, the battery just doesn't last, and the second hand goes bump-bump instead of bump.  I suspect the mechanism is tired and needs cleaning and lubrication.  A daunting task, given how small the thing is.  However - a brand new mechanism is just $20 and change at Esslinger's.  It's in hand.

To remove and replace the mechanism - and keep the dial ( with the diamond ), I have to remove and replace the hands.  So I got a Bergeon hands puller to get them off and a set of hollow pins for putting them back on.  I have successfully done this on one of my parts watches.

My question is:  Are new watch movements shipped with a standard hands position?  I'd rather put them on correctly rather than try to horse them around once they're pushed on.  Don't want to put any more wear on the holes than necessary.  Can't seem to find anything about this anywhere.  I sent an email to Esslinger's but they haven't answered.  Thanks in advance,

Jerry K

Hello and welcome to the forum Jerry K, As Nucejoe remarked it is best to find the caliber number and make when ordering a replacement.  They usually come as a basic movement less dial and hands which you have to swap over to the new one   can you post a picture of the movement as it helps.   thanks    

1 hour ago, jerryk said:

Hello,

I've been playing with watches at a very basic level for a couple of years.  Changing the batteries, replacing crystals, that sort of thing.  I have a bit of background at working with small stuff   - electronics fabrication.    That hobby gifted me with a nice stereo microscope.  Well, actually it was the local tech fleamarket.   I'm ready to step it up a little....

...Back around 1983, I bought my wife a nice Seiko lady's watch for her birthday.    I seem to remember paying $250 for it.  ( $650 in 2020 dollars ).   It was a 7n83 with a diamond at the 12 o'clock position.    Over the years, I have changed the battery when it needed it.  Last year, I replaced the scratched mineral crystal with a sapphire one.    When the bracelet broke I searched for a replacement - and found that the easiest and most cost effective thing was to buy parts watches on Ebay.

Now, the battery just doesn't last, and the second hand goes bump-bump instead of bump.  I suspect the mechanism is tired and needs cleaning and lubrication.  A daunting task, given how small the thing is.  However - a brand new mechanism is just $20 and change at Esslinger's.  It's in hand.

To remove and replace the mechanism - and keep the dial ( with the diamond ), I have to remove and replace the hands.  So I got a Bergeon hands puller to get them off and a set of hollow pins for putting them back on.  I have successfully done this on one of my parts watches.

My question is:  Are new watch movements shipped with a standard hands position?  I'd rather put them on correctly rather than try to horse them around once they're pushed on.  Don't want to put any more wear on the holes than necessary.  Can't seem to find anything about this anywhere.  I sent an email to Esslinger's but they haven't answered.  Thanks in advance,

Jerry K

Update:  More search suggests that there is no standard position - you just twirl the adjustment till the date changes, and that's midnight.