New Member from Florida

Good evening all!

I have fallen in love with hand-wind and automatic watches. My limited knowledge of how they work lead me to research basic Horology and after reading Freid’s “Watch Repairer’s Manual” and finding that I could understand it I realized that this would be another good hobby for me. 

I found Mark’s watchrepairlessons.com site and enrolled after realizing just reading books and watching YouTube videos would probably end up with me destroying many watches as I learned. 

I learned from my other hobbies (Straight Razor honing and shooting sports) not to start with inferior tools and try to cut corners. Fortunately I am at a point in my life where I can afford nice things and I immediately started buying quality tools in anticipation of beginning work. 

Recently my wife’s Father passed away and in his things we found an Elgin Deluxe and a Gruen hand wind watch. I decided I would really like to get them running and wear them to honor her Father and I really wanted to do it myself. 

After realizing that the 15/0 size Elgin was way too small for me to start on (purchased an identical watch to practice so I wouldn’t destroy her Dad’s) I got advice to get a Seagull 3620 clone of the Unitas 6498 to practice on. 

After taking Mark’s course I successfully stripped down the Seagull without losing anything or sending anything flying across the room. I am currently practicing cleaning the movement and will be starting to reassemble it soon. 

Looking forward to meeting everyone and learning more about my new hobby!