longines bracelet shortening help

Hi all, 

I just bought this Longines VHP and am looking for info on how to shorten the bracelet. The watch and bracelet look almost like new so I don't want to scratch it. I looked at the pins on the edge of the links but don't know what type they are and the best way to remove them. Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks,

henrylr

s-l1600.jpg

longine vip.jpg

Here is a picture from a longines bracelet of the same period. This has the arrows on the back, although I can’t see any on yours.

567BE2EF-4CFF-44FE-9A81-3236E716BA94.thumb.jpeg.d3a62c5357e701d2b46d78b23ae9c58e.jpeg

The arrows point in the direction that you push the pins to remove them.

If you have no arrows, then look at the edge of the bracelet. The pins are split at the end that comes out first (i.e. push from the other end)

CC61EA5B-3470-4235-8E6E-3F00EDEAB534.thumb.jpeg.76326f41218ae74e48fffd56890285fa.jpeg

WOW this is a great site.  I thank you all for the help. What really had me stumped was that on the same edge some pins are slightly recessed and some have a rounded end slightly above the edge.

henrylr

The "ressesed" ones are the links you can shorten the bracelet with, sometimes it is frictions fit pins and sometimes it is screws.
In this case it is pins you push out with a link shortening tool like this.
Image1.thumb.jpg.faa48345185d2fc5bfb7bd7662478e16.jpg
The others is just there to hold the bracelet together, most often the links you can shorten the bracelet with have the same size and the others can get slightly bigger with distance. Like from 18mm to 20mm at the case.

Edited by HSL

Thanks for your help and info on the curve topped pins. I ordered a pin remover like the one in your photo. And I just remembered an answer I got from another watch forum. It said the curved tops were covers that needed to be removed to get at the pins. I'm very glad I found this site and didn't try to pry off something that wasn't there.

I don't want to make misleading statements and maybe the person that told me the pins had removable caps might be correct for some VHP bracelets. The attached pic shows a VHP with what look like caps on both edges of the bracelet. Look at pic closely.882297322_vhpband.thumb.jpg.6d1046638d1a66142aafc05cbab1ace8.jpg

henrylr

vhp band2.jpg