ArvorSteve

Hi

This is my first post on this site. I am recently retired and started tinkering  with some old watches my dad had. I have no experience with watch repairs but I  am reasonably ok with working on small items as I worked with electronic PCB,s. So far success is limited but I am keen to keep trying! I also have an Arvor fishing boat hence the strange title. Anyway hopefully that's enough about me.

I recently obtained some  old pocket watches at an auction. One is a USONA American watch.  The second hand runs what ap

Ears to be backwards in an anti clockwise direction.  The minute and hour hands rotate clockwise. The watch keeps good time.  Can anyone confirm if this is normal for USONA watches or if there is som7wrong with it please.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

21 minutes ago, Nucejoe said:

Hi Steve.

You have an unusual timepiece there, likely to be ultra rare.

Never hear of a watch deciding to run the other direction on its own. lol.

Welcome to the forum.  

It,s quite querky I  know but someone must be able to give a technical explanation.  I could see how everything might run backwards if the escape wheel was maybe inserted upside down and it still ran, but what's going on with the minutes and hour hands running clockwise but the second hand running anti clockwise I look to wiser men than me to answer!

1 hour ago, ArvorSteve said:

It,s quite querky I  know but someone must be able to give a technical explanation.  I could see how everything might run backwards if the escape wheel was maybe inserted upside down and it still ran, but what's going on with the minutes and hour hands running clockwise but the second hand running anti clockwise I look to wiser men than me to answer

All it takes a designer to change direction of a wheel, is to add an intermediate wheel to it's train. I imagine dead beat escape can go backwards if forced to. Explanation on the rational for such piece  and its history will expectedly get posted on your thread, plenty of master watchmakers on this here forum. There are those of us who try to make newcomers feel welcome by joking. Regards Joe.

Hi guys

I think Joe has nailed it already.  Another wheel between the minute wheel and escapement was suggested by another forum I  am a member of.

The dial on my watch is a bit faded so I could not see that the watch is designed that way. 

This one is in better condition 

https://en.todocoleccion.net/antique-pocket-watches/re437-reloj-bolsillo-marca-omaire-usona-sistema-roskopf-siglo-xx~x65741506

Thanks for the warm welcome.