Help reassembling a Bulova 11ACAC Atomatic?

Hello everyone, this Bulova 11 ACAC arrived in a parts lot I ordered and I was hoping someone might be able to advise. I've never worked on an automatic before. It looks like it's missing its third wheel and I can't figure out where the parts outlined in red are meant to go. Also, any advice or resources that might help me reassemble this watch would be greatly appreciated. 

IMG_20200128_175542.jpg

IMG_20200128_175437.jpg

The thin spindle thing is the seconds hand - that goes into the middle of the movement. On top of it the metal long finger looking thing goes in to hold it down - it screws into the movement either near the balance cock or somewhere on the side with the 3rd and 4th wheels.
The spare gear that you have goes on top of one of the gears in the drive train, before or after the winding mechanism is assembled from what I can see.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Hi You will probably find the attached tech sheet handy in re assembling the watch  Good luck    cheers

11 AOAC, D, B.pdf 5.5 MB · 5 downloads

Not sure how much help that tech sheet is going to be.

The OP's movement is an 11ACAC, the auto wind module on the 11AOAC is entirely different. Not sure about the rest of the movement but comparing the (limited) specs quoted on Ranfft the rest of the movement could well be different too.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Hello, I am about 5 months into watchmaking and I love it!   The attention to precise detail is what really attracts me to it. (and the tools!) I am working on a 16 jewel 43mm pocket watch movement.   There are no markings besides a serial number (122248) .  The balance staff needs replacement. The roller side pivot broke off.  I successfully removed the hairspring using Bergeon 5430's.  I successfully removed the roller using Bergeon 2810.   Did i mention I love the tools?! I removed the staff from the balance wheel using a vintage K&D staff removal tool  with my Bergeon 15285 (that's the one that comes with a micrometer adjustment so it can be used as a jewel press as well as a traditional staking tool...it's sooooo cool...sorry..  can you tell i love the tools?) No more digressing..  I measured the damaged staff in all the relevant areas but I have to estimate on some because one of the pivots is missing. A = Full length  A= 4.80mm  (that's without the one pivot...if you assume that the missing pivot is the same length as the other pivot (I'm sure it's not)  then A = 5.12 mm...(can I assume 5.00mm here?) F=  Hair spring collet seat  F=  .89mm   (safe to assume .90 here? .. I am sure that my measurement's would at least contain  .01 mm error ?) G = balance wheel seat  G = 1.23 mm  (1.20mm?) H  =  roller staff  H =  .59mm  (.60 mm?) B  = bottom of the wheel to roller pivot   B  = 2.97mm  (3.00 mm?)     here I am estimating  again because this pivot is missing. So my friends, and I thank you profusely,  can you point me in the right direction as to how to proceed? Do i buy individual staffs?  or an assortment?   Since I don't know exactly the name of the manufacturer, will that be a fatal hindrance?   Tbh, I'm not even sure what country of origin this movement is. Thank you!    
    • Thats why i asked that question earlier, what happens if lubrication is placed directly on top of epilame ?  As opposed to walled within its non epilamed area . I'm not saying its right, i have no idea , just asking questions. 
    • thinking of where epilam should be removed did you know there was a patent that covers this? At least for the escapement I'm attaching it. GB1057607A-1 epilame.pdf
    • Back home...printing now.  Will report results
    • Oh well, if Master @nickelsilver says it's the way to go, then it is the way to go! I stand corrected! 🫡 Are there any other places where you're supposed to remove the epilame from the contact point of rubbing? I don't think so! Thanks for the effort @Neverenoughwatches, much appreciated! 🙂👍