Attaching hairspring without staking set

Jheric

Maybe the question could be formulated as, can I do a given job without using specific tools? I would say probably you can, as long you don't care about the work being done easily, securely and precisely.

BTW, we have a forum section where's considered polite to introduce oneself even before asking questions.

Hi  its not an impossible task having done quite a few using fine punches and a 36 hole stake but great care must be taken in maintaining the vertical and achieving a good seat. Its a lot easier using a staking tool with the correct tools,  they are not too expensive having bought two sets under £40 over the years. If you intend to enter the horologic world then they are a must it makes the job easier in a lot of cases.

• Like 1

Hello Guys, sorry for my late reply. I've been busy these past few weeks and forgot to introduce myself.

Thank you for the advice. I don't have a staking tool yet that's why I'm looking for an alternative to do the job done. 

You are right jdm, every pieces of a watch needs a total care. From now on, I will not touch anything till I get the proper tool. 

Best Regards, Jheric

Note the canon pinion I mounted onto a pin vice.   I am sure you can quickly figure out the rest.

Can also place a flat wheels out of the movement such as flat ratchet wheel, on top of the collet, press it home. 

Refer to your intel,  you can device countless tool out of stuff already on your bench.

Best wishes.

IMG_20191001_113739.jpg

5 hours ago, Jheric said:

Nice alternative technique, Will try and practice that on a scrap movement. Thank you

I grip the roller in tweezers, to keep the balance from slipping.

Watch out not to hurt the impulse pin.

Anvile is ofcourse safer to use.

• 3 weeks later...

Can try a pen tube (like a bic pen) with the cartridge removed. See if you can find one with a small hole which is smaller than the hairspring collet. A mechanical pencil tube and cap could be more suited. 

Or just get a staking set!

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• your balance wheel looks interesting in the watch and because it's at an angle it's changing things a little bit. in other words they hairspring is not centered between the regulator pin in the boot and I also noticed your terminal curve is lacking apparently by design? Because if you look in the second image you'll notice yes there's a terminal curve but not as aggressive a one as you normally see on watches at least most watches.   then in all of your images it looks like the boot isn't quite back where it's supposed to be? out of curiosity how did you remove your balance complete and clear the regulator pin? then just in case you weren't aware it rotates out of the way so you can remove the balance complete without bending the pin. Then it's rotated back exactly 90° and yours looks like it's off by just a little bit in the original image and I'm assuming that you just been the pin out of the way? it's always interesting in horology is the variations in the things. Like the image I have above does have a terminal curve but not the most aggressive and yours is even less but that is the way the watch was made. Then the spacing between the regulator pin in the boot should be relatively small basically if you had two pieces of the thickness of your hairspring that's how much space should be there like in this image. But oftentimes watch manufacturers do not necessarily follow the rules  
    • Yep i can see where you're going with that one Rich.  Sooo now that I've frightened the OP into submission 😁. Chief i do apologise for some reason unbeknown to myself I'm in a happy silly mood. So seriously to identify the movement lets have a look at the dial side, learning this part is straightforward, just need a little logic and something called the # BESTFIT BOOKS # . Or the other non American equivalents. 
    • I can definitely see elephant and aardvark and possibly some sort of bird with a large beak 🤣 anyway I'll have a go of getting it flipped over tonight and send some pics
    • A Schild movements often have left handed crown screws. A pic of the keyless works would help identify it, and the size of the movement. Looks like someone has had a, not very subtle, attempt to decrease play in the centre wheel. And the hairspring looks like it needs some work. From the scratches on the bridges, it looks like it was last serviced by a drunken baboon, but it's a good movement to practice on. Good luck