Attaching hairspring without staking set

Jheric

Maybe the question could be formulated as, can I do a given job without using specific tools? I would say probably you can, as long you don't care about the work being done easily, securely and precisely.

BTW, we have a forum section where's considered polite to introduce oneself even before asking questions.

Hi  its not an impossible task having done quite a few using fine punches and a 36 hole stake but great care must be taken in maintaining the vertical and achieving a good seat. Its a lot easier using a staking tool with the correct tools,  they are not too expensive having bought two sets under £40 over the years. If you intend to enter the horologic world then they are a must it makes the job easier in a lot of cases.

• Like 1

Hello Guys, sorry for my late reply. I've been busy these past few weeks and forgot to introduce myself.

Thank you for the advice. I don't have a staking tool yet that's why I'm looking for an alternative to do the job done. 

You are right jdm, every pieces of a watch needs a total care. From now on, I will not touch anything till I get the proper tool. 

Best Regards, Jheric

Note the canon pinion I mounted onto a pin vice.   I am sure you can quickly figure out the rest.

Can also place a flat wheels out of the movement such as flat ratchet wheel, on top of the collet, press it home. 

Refer to your intel,  you can device countless tool out of stuff already on your bench.

Best wishes.

IMG_20191001_113739.jpg

5 hours ago, Jheric said:

Nice alternative technique, Will try and practice that on a scrap movement. Thank you

I grip the roller in tweezers, to keep the balance from slipping.

Watch out not to hurt the impulse pin.

Anvile is ofcourse safer to use.

• 3 weeks later...

Can try a pen tube (like a bic pen) with the cartridge removed. See if you can find one with a small hole which is smaller than the hairspring collet. A mechanical pencil tube and cap could be more suited. 

Or just get a staking set!