Shock Spring

Thanks.  Not broken, the balance cock spring is identical.  Huge ping hazard though.    These function very much like the usual Incabloc springs in that you release the legs and then lift the spring out of the housing. Thanks,

RMD

Edited by rduckwor
  • Like 1

I would think that this is more a retaining clip vs a shock spring.  I recall another forum member mentioning this about the Kif duofix.  He described that for a third or fourth wheel where the pivot didn't have a substantial shoulder to contact the hole jewel to arrest the shock beyond the 'spring' giving way, this shows that the spring/clip really was meant as a retaining device for the cap jewel.  The incabloc style shock system allowed for the spring to absorb the smaller shocks and, if significant, the shoulder of the staff would contact the hole jewel to further protect the pivots.

• Like 1

I'm with @GeorgeC on this i.e. this is not a shock protection spring but simply a retaining clip.

This contrasts with ranfft which says that the 712 should have a Kif Protechoc system. It could be therefore that Elgin made the improvement to use a proper protection system later in the movement's manufacturing history. 

• Like 1

On 6/18/2019 at 11:47 PM, rduckwor said:

Thanks.  Not broken, the balance cock spring is identical.  Huge ping hazard though.    These function very much like the usual Incabloc springs in that you release the legs and then lift the spring out of the housing. Thanks,

RMD

Thought it looked broken . But now i look closer it looks okay. Maybe you should just leave it as is and oil it from inte inside. Sure looks like someone has tried to remove it before. Lots of damage.  

• Like 1

Further investigation on my part, tells me that the 713 movement was where the use of the KIF springs began.  The above posters are correct in saying this is simply a retaining clip as I'm told by an Elgin expert that the 712 pivot assembly was not a true shock protection system as the jewel is fixed in the place and does not "float" as with the Incabloc and other similar systems.

Thanks for all of your replies.  Best,

RMD

• Thanks 1

• Similar Content

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• What do you use for a camera @spectre6000?
    • Attached is the initial timegrapher reading before working on the movement. The hairspring does move freely when I adjust the regulator. I think I'll try opening up the curb pin to give the hairspring more space. I know that's crazy tricky to do without wrecking the pin (I've tried on other movements in the past) so if anyone has a suggestion on how to do it, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks
    • I think you are making the right decision here, it is far too valuable and not worth the risk for improving its performance  by just a few seconds, which might not even be that easy to achieve and it could go very wrong. So just 2 things to add to convince you to leave it well alone 🙂 1. If the watch is brand new and you take the back off, you can definitely kiss your guarantee goodbye and 2. 10 seconds incorrect rate on a timegrapher ( we didn't discuss the amplitude,  wind or positional variations )  doesn't mean 10 seconds incorrect rate on your wrist and on your bedside table, it could very well be more accurate than that. 
    • I saw mention of the super glue and bolt method on various forums. I wondered if there’d be any problem with that given the watch is titanium. Will the glue or the acetone stain the metal? Titanium is supposed to be resistant to corrosion, but sometimes certain metals react with chemicals unexpectedly.   If it doesn’t stain or scratch the watch and can be completely removed with acetone, the bolt and glue method seems like a clever last resort approach.   However, I don’t think I’m ready to use that method on this watch. The watch is new, and it was a gift, and it wasn't cheap. Also, +10 spd really isn’t that big of a deal. I can just correct it once a week to keep it within a minute of the correct time. If I had a manual wind watch I’d have to wind it more often than every week, so I can think of it that way.   I think neverenoughwatches is right that this is the wrong watch to use to start learning how to repair watches. I think I’ll either buy the Unitas 6498 or a clone to do the watch fix course. I may also get a $200 invicata pro diver with the SW200 movement that I believe is also in the tag heuer aquaracer to start learning watch repair. It uses the “caliber 5” which I believe is just an SW200-1 or ETA 2824-2 with a tag decorated rotor.   How long would you all say it takes to develop basic competence working on mechanical watches? What level does one end up at after doing the first three watch fix courses?   I mentioned in my intro post that I was emboldened to try to regulate the tag watch by my success in swapping out a broken quartz movement on a friends 15 year old fashion watch a month or so ago. It had a Ronda 762 which was available new from Esslinger for $10. I didn’t have the right tools or any experience but I was able to remove the movement, swap the dial and hands, and reassemble the watch to fix it. It appears to work fine now. The only reason I attempted it though was because they were going to throw the watch out, so the risk was really just the $10 for the new movement. The risk on this aquaracer is much higher and probably above my risk threshold.   Also thanks very much for all your suggestions and help. I’ll post some more images of the watch shortly.
    • Thats just the tip of the iceberg, they have no idea of what is yet to come.  When you start grabbing stranger's left hands to turn their wrists to see what watch they are wearing then thats when they need to start worrying. Erm  not that i...ah-hem....have done that.