Roamer

chrisdt

I have a nice Roamer Mustang Indianapolis Automatic day date watch. Running fine, keeping time BUT (there is always a but) the three position stem when in the middle position and turned clockwise alters the date but when turned anti clockwise does nothing. So in other words I cant quick change the day. Can some one who has had one of these tell me if this is usual or is there something gone amiss inside. I ask this because although I have removed the movement from the case it is still attached to the case back which requires removal of the stem ?(2 piece) Would the day only be adjustable by winding the hands on?

P1010036.JPG

P1010037.JPG

P1010038.JPG

Hi, You are lucky, I would thank the lord for what work.

Seriously , I think the watch is fine, but 

Try turning the watch back ( anti clockwise) past tweleve and to eight hour or so, then turn clockwise past tweleve or more , day may change. 

This was a new invention in its heydays. The inventor got good flogging for his work.:pulling-hair-out:

Regards

I have not got one of these movements but it is probably an MST 478. Because Roamer at the time did not have their own movement with a day and date feature they based it on the ETA 2638. I mention this because you might have more luck finding information and tech sheets on the ETA as opposed to the MST.

I would recommend what @Nucejoe has said as a first step:

1) Hand wind the hands forward past midnight when a change would normally occur. Did the day (and date) change?

2) Most movement have a 'semi quickset' feature that if you wind the hands back to roughly 8 and then forward past 12 it will change the date again (to save winding the hands forward 24 hours!). So do this ... did the day (and date) change?

If you got a day change from the above but the quickset feature does not work then the problem is in this area; if you did not get a day change then the problem is in the main change mech. 

• Thanks 1

Wat hmaker got  very reasonable point.there.

What movement is there underneath the dial. Is the dial plate glued to mainpalte?

Time for me to back up on giving abvice till a picture of the movement is posted, or caliber is given.

Regards

Most movements have the calibre details under the balance. From the first photo in your last post it seems to be there ... I can see the MST shield but the angle and resolution means I can't see the detail. If you use a loupe and a strong light source can you see it?

If you can't then I'm pretty confident this is the MST 478 ( ETA 'clone'  I mentioned; most likely the ETA 2638). This is because the only other movement it might be for a Roamer is their own in-house MST 523 movement but this has a very distinctive bridge and auto-wind layout different to yours. 

Let us know how you get on with my and @Nucejoe's advice on the day and date changing.

Edited by WatchMaker

I'd been assuming this was a gents watch putting the movement at an 11.5 ligne (25.6mm). If it is indeed an MST 492 then, although this is another ETA clone, this puts it in the more dinky 7.75 ligne size (17.2mm). Do you just want to confirm that?!

Assuming it is then the MST 485,  491 and  492 were from the same family of ETA movement and although yours might say MST 492 underneath it is actually more specifically the 491 variant as this is then the corresponding ETA 2678 movement with both day and date.

Edited by WatchMaker

2) Most movement have a 'semi quickset' feature that if you wind the hands back to roughly 8 and then forward past 12 it will change the date again (to save winding the hands forward 24 hours!). So do this ... did the day (and date) change?

The date changes @WatchMaker but the day goes back so in other words Sunday 1st becomes Sunday 2nd and so on.

Think I might leave it. It is Automatic so unless I stop wearing it the day will always be right.

Hi @chrisdt - understood. It's a nice watch and only a minor issue you could always look to correct in the future if you wanted to.

http://roamer-watches.info/foreign.shtml gives a list of MST movements to ETA (or other maker's) movements that Roamer used. I believed your watch was an MST 478 / ETA 2638 whilst with your research you think it is an MST 482 / ETA 2630. I am unsure on the subtle differences between the two since the ETA references often come up together. If there are subtle differences then almost certainly this wouldn't be for the day change mech where parts would have remained the same. I only mention this now should you want to look at things in the future and find the 478/2638 combo easier to find references to than the 482/2630!

• Like 1