Omega Speedmaster Moon Watch Question

I suggest a full service every 5 years wether there is evidence of a problem or not. 

Oil degrades and becomes less useful over time and it needs to be cleaned and renewed to reduce wear, just like with any mechanical item (a car being the most obvious)

:)

It's a bit like a car. You can run it and run it and not worry and the, one day - bam! the cam belt's gone and you're into a major spend. I think a basic clean and service after 10 years service wouldn't hurt, and will get rid of that oil drying round the jewels...

Hah - just cross-posted with you, Mark!

Edited by WillFly
  • Like 1

Hi rattandson,

I would service it in order to avoid a failure! Being an Omega, you can either send it to the factory or do it yourself/professional. The whole point is doing it properly and avoid, as previously said, a failure that might endanger other parts of the watch and make the service more involved (costly, time consuming, etc). I think service as preventive!

Rattandson your question seems to have a least two components. I'll handle both: 1) Does a gorgeous high-quality watch like an Omega moon watch deserve to be serviced after 10 years of working without fail? Yes it does ! 2) Would I do the service myself? Probably not because I have a fear that I will totaly mess up any of my Omegas--especially if they have complications. The moon watch is a chronograph....major complication.

JC

Edited by noirrac1j

I recently got the very same watch and I will definitely be getting it serviced every 5 years to keep it in tip top condition. I'd wanted it for a very long time and never intend to sell it so want to look after it. That gives me 5 years to get good enough to service it myself or more likely give it to Mark!

It's a bit like a car. You can run it and run it and not worry and the, one day - bam! the cam belt's gone and you're into a major spend. I think a basic clean and service after 10 years service wouldn't hurt, and will get rid of that oil drying round the jewels...

Hah - just cross-posted with you, Mark!

ahh the old car explanation when talking about servicing..... the most used and best example....

ahh the old car explanation when talking about servicing..... the most used and best example....

Yup - an old chestnut - but worth repeating.

I'm always amazed at the people who think a watch should be serviced for next-to-nothing - and then cheerfully shell out £200 every year for their car to be serviced. When you think of the potential wear and tear on a fully functional mechanical movement over, say five years...

It's the only thing people are most likely to service on a regular basis, so it's a natural illustration.

But we can talk about boilers if you want :) I had a new combi boiler fitted in my house five years ago - at the time all the rads and pipes were flushed and chemicals were added to clean the crap away.

I have not had it touched since and now just last month the hot water kept cutting out (painful mid-shower). If I had it serviced every year in accordance with the manufacturer guidelines would have escaped a lot of grief, agro from the wife and cold showers.