Unitas 6497 shock spring replacement

20 minutes ago, PeterS said:

When I was releasing the shock spring on the balance it popped out. I found it but after an hour of trying to get it back in it snapped.
I found an assortment of shock springs here:

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/shockproof-springs-wristwatch

What are the chances of the U shaped spring being there and how do I fit it in?

Sounds like it's a kif spring you could have there? Or is it a incabloc spring. Top or bottom? 

38 minutes ago, PeterS said:

It's incabloc, top I think (not the dial side), I found this image

6497.JPG

That could be a little tricky. You probably need to remove the regulator arm to get that in.  Or at least the arrow pointing backwards. Inked6497.JPG.546e8803e13d1412cee0d9479c9e39be_LI.jpg.adeeb42f937db7f4d8545af8054b611b.jpg

Edited by rogart63
  • Like 1

Thank you for letting me know. It looks like I will have to get a new movement. I only started the course level 2 and that might be beyond my abilities at this moment.

5 minutes ago, PeterS said:

Yes, that's the one

Well, that’s why the spring came out. It’s not your fault; it’s because it’s one of the aspects which the failed to copy properly. They can be carefully reinserted, but that’s regarding the original Chinese part. The way to avoid them falling out is to ensure they lift and drop perpendicular to the movement. If they angle then they pop out entirely. The Swiss ones are easy.

You may be best finding Chinese spares if that’s possible. I can offer some real incabloc springs, but they are all from 10 - 12 ligne watches, so not sure if they’d be a bit small. 

• Like 1

I didn’t know they could fall out, I would have been more careful. Bummer!
You live and learn!

Thank you for the offer, much appreciated. I’ll get a new one and use this one for spares.

2 minutes ago, clockboy said:

The Units Cal 6497 shock springs spec.

upper shock size.  470.13

lower shock size. 476.03

Thank you clock boy.

Are they available to purchase somewhere and is it fairly easy to install them?
I can only find the assortment of shock springs at Cousins and have no idea whether the right one would be there and my feeling is I'd probably snap it again.
I'd rather fix it than buy a new one but luckily it's not that expensive to buy a new movement.

23 minutes ago, PeterS said:

Fingers crossed it will fit. I’ll give it a go.
Question is how to install it. I looked on YouTube and I found a video for kif spring but not for this one.

This is where it gets slightly complicated. The fact that the spring falls out on the Chinese movement proves that there is wiggle room for it to be fitted as-is. So, for the original spring, you carefully angle it back in place. If the new spring is of the same dimensions then the same will apply. If not, then you will have to disassemble the setting to fit it.

1 hour ago, PeterS said:

They look the same. Is it different size?

Well, I doubt anyone has measured them exactly, but if the spring was the correct size, and the slot in the setting where it hinges was the correct size...... then it wouldn’t fall apart in the first place!

On 10/05/2018 at 11:33 AM, PeterS said:

Fingers crossed it will fit. I’ll give it a go.
Question is how to install it. I looked on YouTube and I found a video for kif spring but not for this one.

This is where Rodico is your friend. Put a small piece just behind where you  want to drop the spring in. You can then stick the spring to the Rodico, and manoeuvre it straight, and get the right angle, before sliding it down in to place. I find sharpened pegwood sticks help.

Some will tell you to put it in with tweezers - but it's not easy. Replacing these springs is one of the things I struggled most with (apart from wrestling hairsprings of course !)

Also when opening the springs, If it looks a bit loose, I will use a bit of Rodico to to make sure it's not going to pop out of it's slot. 

• Like 1

That’s an excellent tip. I was wondering whether I could use rodico in some way but couldn’t figure out how to use it so I used tweezers instead.
I’ll give it a go when the pack of 5 arrives next week – that’s if they fit the clone.

I think Rogart is right. I couldn’t fit it in. I’m not sure whether I’m doing it correctly but I cannot get it in no matter what I do.
I can hold the spring with tweezers, go parallel into the slot and try to turn it 90 degrees to install it. But it only turns say 70-80 degrees and I cannot turn it further.
I would say that the Swiss spring is larger, at least the hinge if not the whole spring.