My First Strip Down - Helvetia

PhilB

Wow, what a fascinating thread, and very encouraging (despite the lost screw). Perhaps get a stronger magnet, one of those neodymium monsters?

My first strip down will be of a virtually identical watch! I haven't started yet because my tools supplier forgot to include the Bergeon screwdriver set :-( The most expensive item it was too, mutter, mutter...

• 2 weeks later...

Its back in the case and running fine.

I'm very pleased with my first strip down. I've lost a screw and crown ring washer but all in all a good result.

Has anyone else stabbed themselves with an oiler? They might be thin but they're **BLEEP** sharp, my thumb is throbbing.

Phil

• Like 1

Highly recommended (the storage)! Great job Phil, and on your first watch!

What happened to the crown ring? (You are talking about the bushing I believe). Did you sourced another one?

Edited by bobm12

Has anyone else stabbed themselves with an oiler? They might be thin but they're **BLEEP** sharp, my thumb is throbbing.

Phil

Not the oiler..... but stabbed myself on the forehead with very pointy tweezers, whilst trying to catch a loupe falling out of my eye ......... TWICE ........... :(

Not the oiler..... but stabbed myself on the forehead with very pointy tweezers, whilst trying to catch a loupe falling out of my eye ......... TWICE ........... :(

That's so annoying when that happens: the tweezer points get bent out of shape when they hit the bone :(

Pro Tip: try not to poke them in your eye instead though. The eye is much softer, so the tweezers will be OK, but it's not so good for the eye.

Edited by colinh
  • Like 1

Phil your doing great. I'm reading along and see you're getting excellent help from everyone. Just keep working steadily and taking those pictures! You'll definitely need them as reference later when you reassemble. Great work so far!