My First Strip Down - Helvetia

PhilB

Much better than my 1st attempts a long time ago,  I destroyed at least 10 or so before I ever got one back together and running.  I would only say that it is safest to get the balance wheel and bridge out of the way and into a safe place as soon as possible.  A brilliant 1st attempt.   :thumbsu:

I tend to fit the Barrel Bridge after the Train wheel bridge, makes it a lot easier to align the pivots........

Just finished an FEF 380 and you have to fit the pallets and escape wheel first as the centre wheel sits over them, with its own bridge..... 

Ok,

I've removed the balance and pivots.

Fitted the winding mechanism and main barrel, great wheel, barrel bridge, ratchet wheel and crown wheel.

When I turn the crown a few times the crown and ratchet wheel turn but nothing else happens.

I haven't opened the barrel during removal and the watch was working before stripping.

What should I check for first?

noMovement.jpg

Last night I removed everything bar the winding mechanism

This morning I've

Fitted the train wheels and bridge - everything seem to move freely

Fitted the barrel and bridge

Fitted the crown and ratchet wheels.

The movement doesn't start when I turn the crown

I can feel tension in the spring but nothing spins.

What can I check first?

Ok i've made some progress.

I opened the barrel again and too a good look at the spring without removing it but couldn't see any breaks.

Once refitted I loosened the train bridge a little and the movement started, so I may not have the jewels in the train bridge aligned.

I would firstly check the regulatoe index arm hasn't been nudged to either maximum, as this can lock the balance, check the impulse jewel engages the pallet fork. If this is wrong the balance wheel will lock on it's return swing. 

After that it's a case of working back checking pivots, end shake and side shake, check all jewels.... the list goes on....................

• Like 1

when I say running I mean the barrel is spinning the train wheels, I've still got the paletts, balance wheel and calendar stuff to fit.

On the plus side, my tweezer handling is getting much better.

Thats what it's all about Phil, practice! You are doing great, you don't get anywhere by rushing so just go at a pace you are comfortable with. 

I would firstly check the regulator index arm hasn't been nudged to either maximum, as this can lock the balance, check the impulse jewel engages the pallet fork. If this is wrong the balance wheel will lock on it's return swing. 

The first problems I came across when starting out was actuall getting the balance impulse jewel to engage the pallet fork correctly.... see this link .....

http://www.timezonewatchschool.com/WatchSchool/Glossary/Glossary%20-%20Escapement/Glossary-Escape-Animation/glossary-escape-animation.shtml

Basically the impulse jewel must be on the side of the fork where it is against the curb pins.....

Edited by Legarm

When you add the Balance Wheel, give it a few puffs from your blower to make sure it's turning freely, then make sure you add several more turns to the Crown mate.  That caught me out to begin with, then I realized that I'd only put about a 1 turn from a completely unwound Mainspring :p  Some of the cheaper movements need a bit of spring tension before the olde balance starts a-spinning.

Secondly, have you cleaned and oiled the jewels of the Balance yet?  There could be some dirty holding things up.

But MOST IMPORTANT is to check your Balance is running free, and those pivots are aligned with a puff from your blower.

Excellent job Phil.

One thing, when installing the balance wheel, if you nudge it (puff of a blower, gentle tweezers, just tweezers, hammer and chisel, bulldozer, etc -- sorry got carried away :) ) and it kind of tries to swing but stops right away, it means the jewel is not engaged, indicating that the balance jewel is on the outside of the pallet fork and not in its "groove".

The trick with some movements is to have the pallet fork on the extreme left position looking from the back of the fork. Then, try to place the pivots of the wheel right on its points the first time.  Direct and rotate the balance wheel to position it. Then, guide it gently with your tweezers into the pallet fork "groove" and mostly, be extra gentle and careful with the hairspring and pivots. This at least works for me and might make your life easier with that movement, but there may be a better suggestion.

Edited by bobm12

Don't get disheartened Phil, we are all very proud of your achievement. 

A fridge magnet will do the trick, ALL of us have dropped screws and had to hunt for them ... finding dropped parts a skill you need to learn, just like using your tweezers.

Just wait until an incabloc jewel pings off your desk ... that's when things get real interesting :p

I haven't found the screw I lost - it was between my teezers one minute then gone the next.

I've tried the magnet but no luck. I even vacuumed the carpet and emptied the contents out but still no joy.

We all have a Black Hole in the room where we do our watch making ....... I have a magnet with an 18kg pull on it, but stuff still disappears...... 

If it makes you feel any better, I've lost an assortment of screws, ruined a hairspring, lost cap jewels, lost three, yes three click springs and broken two set bridges (dumb, dumb, dumb). And I've yet to complete my first watch (though I'm close). It's been very frustrating at times, but each failure and mistake has been a learning experience. See if you can get yourself a spare movement for parts. Don't give up. And remember to have fun.