Adjusting a broken Hairspring

jdrichard

Update: put in a balance screw i got from Cousins in a pack of 100. Went in well. Put in the second and one and IT SNAPPED OFF! Moved to another hole and the next one snapped off as well. So now mu balance has two nubbies that are leftovers from the broken screws. How do i remove these to try again and are all balance screws so soft?2669315a0d421d6bc90d58c8ce73f3be.jpg6f424eb6285c83056c224bdbd20f80f7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Try tweezers on the inner protrusion and turn clockwise until it falls out?
Small drill and drill into stub and use new balance weight as a thread cutter?
Drill and tap and use oversize balance weights on both sides ?
All I can think of at the moment.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

UPDATE. I ended up reaming out the screw and did put in two too heavy screws which really slowed the watch down. So tonight i replaced them with smaller screws and still too slow. So i moved the spring over in the stud and after a heck of a lot of spring tweeting, I got the watch withing +/- 5 seconds per day. All working well but i did forged to edge the hairspring collet over so i now have a big beat error. I am going to let it run tonight and check the time in the morning and determine if i need to address the beat error. This 1890 pocket watch is good for today:)099bb070117d670efe4df516b5753fd1.jpg&key=3b7e1bd3be776c0f45766a4aa31c2edd7613bd9fbbf8c33c9f34bb037b66c882

e640facc8d89c7a962ea7f489a67bddc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Fantastic! I love it when a plan comes together... 11/10 for tenacity :woohoo-jumping-smiley-emoticon:
I’m sure you’ll be taking extra care while you tweak that beat error, and you may have altered the thermal compensation ever so slightly, but I doubt that will be something to worry about!

So taking out the balance staff one more time to adjust the beat error is optional. I woke up this morning and the watch was 100% accurate, so the risk is playing with it one more time. Darn!

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk