Seiko SRP777 - no day change

Karving

Hello,

I have a Seiko SRP777 where they date changes correctly, but the day does not (it changes halfway, getting stuck between two days). When / if I try to change the day manually, it is as if something doesn't grip completely. 

Is this an "easy" fix, or should I have a pro look at this?

8 hours ago, Karving said:

Hello,

I have a Seiko SRP777 where they date changes correctly, but the day does not (it changes halfway, getting stuck between two days). When / if I try to change the day manually, it is as if something doesn't grip completely. 

Is this an "easy" fix, or should I have a pro look at this?

I have done a little research this morning and the movement you have in your watch is a 4R36. I have not worked on this particular movement but it is highly likely that the date corrector wheel needs changing. Unfortunately like many movements of today these parts are made of plastic and can distort. However it might just need a clean & service. It is one of those jobs where it has to be stripped and investigated to be certain of the fault. It is a relatively  simple job for a competent watch repairer. The other alternative is auto fit a new movement. These  are available from Cousins for approx £45.

As said it is a relatively simple fix, but I recommend to not try yourself, because there are tools and skills needed that you don't have. Most likely the problem is with the day disc, and not the corrector wheel, because when the day changes, the latter is not involved at all.

On Seiko mov.t this type of faults can be repaired accessing the calendar, without completely disassembling the mov.t, for this reason no complete cleaning or service will be needed, as the watch is relatively new.

Replacing the entire mov.t is not the best way, also because that would requires replacing the day disc anyway, what Cousins UK sells is in fact in a 4R35, without a day disc.

1 hour ago, jdm said:

As said it is a relatively simple fix, but I recommend to not try yourself, because there are tools and skills needed that you don't have. Most likely the problem is with the day disc, and not the corrector wheel, because when the day changes, the latter is not involved at all.

On Seiko mov.t this type of faults can be repaired accessing the calendar, without completely disassembling the mov.t, for this reason no complete cleaning or service will be needed, as the watch is relatively new.

Replacing the entire mov.t is not the best way, also because that would requires replacing the day disc anyway, what Cousins UK sells is in fact in a 4R35, without a day disc.

I have had that very issue with a Seiko. The problem is getting a replacement in the end I found one http://www.speedtimerkollektion.com/shop/index.php.

As I stated it needs stripping to be sure of the fault 

1 hour ago, clockboy said:

As I stated it needs stripping to be sure of the fault 

Not full stripping. As mentioned before, the entire calendar mechanism can be accessed from the top, without removing anything else. It is enough for the day disc to be lifted up a tiny bit to miss the action from the day/date wheel, or the day corrector wheel. 

Hi Karving,

This is the re-issue of the old Seiko diver right? Is it still in warranty? That would be the best bet.

Also I've seen a lot of fakes of these watches.. some with base metal cases.!. Are you sure your's is legit.

rgds

Anil

On 9/11/2017 at 0:12 PM, anilv said:

Also I've seen a lot of fakes of these watches.. some with base metal cases.!. Are you sure your's is legit.

There are absolutely no fakes SRP7xx (new turtle) around, or for that matter, any 4R36 Seiko. If you have seen any, post pictures or links.

Edited by jdm

10 hours ago, anilv said:

Plenty around my part of the world. Will get some pictures the next I see one.

I suspect that you are thinking about the fake SKX007/9 which can be found in some Malaysia street markets. But the SRPs have not been counterfeited to my knowledge, based on specialized forums which are also participated by people from your country. Will be curious to see the pictures. 

Edited by jdm