Obtaining an Omega (or equiv.) square crystal

I  have a very nice square Omega de ville auto (rotor) 12.83 from '73-74. Runs very well but requires a lens - roughly 250 sq. But the watch is slim and I assume that the lens will need the correct profile  to avoid jamming (and look right.) The bezel is curved, not flat and I can't interpret the Sternkreuz catalogue sufficiently to order something - I can't tell whether the profiles listed are for flat bezels or curved. Someone's going to think me pretty dim but no matter - I have trouble with this all the time where rectangular watches are concerned. I'd prefer to get a mineral glass but I'd settle for a UB! Any suggestions?

Roy

Why not phone the retailer. Explain your difficulty I'm sure you'll find them helpful . If you don't have the original crystal or reference number, order a few. One the size you measured it to be, then a couple slightly larger in increments

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Hi and thanks, Obtaining Omega vintage spares (this is a '73/4 piece) seems near impossible - at least as far as Omega are concerned. Ofrei suggested I write to my congressman about it! Maybe I'll try an MP.

The case number is 161021. My first search drew a blank but I'll continue looking. I also contacted a custom lens maker  but given the tricky profile and the requirement for clearance, getting something made that doesn't look horrible sounds challenging. Anyone know some more custom suppliers who they can recommend?

Roy

I can only suggest Cousinsuk but assume you have tried them. Something in the back of my mind is saying Omega only guaranteed to stock parts and repair for the first 30 years of the date of it's production. Now Swatch owns Omega, best of luck

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, rogart63 said:

Have you checked tiptopcrystals? The crystal you need is called VP2075

No trace of this on their site and although they replied, they emphasised the need for precise measurement - and no reference to the above code; and the three items they suggested in a link are all out of stock. I can measure the corner to corner dimensions easily enough, however without a suitable profile gauge I can't measure the radius of the bezel. Without an example of the crystal itself I can't know the profile of the glass. Stymied. Still, there's £300 of scrap gold there...

Roy

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, GleaveandCoLuke said:

Only replying as this is a very rare part and will be near impossible to find elsewhere.  We have the Omega part, VP2075, measures 258.5mm square, curved along the edges, omega symbol in the middle.  £30 + post and vat.

Hi Luke. SOLD! Please let me know how to proceed.

Roy

20 hours ago, ro63rto said:

Try
http://www.crystalfit.co.uk/

Sent from my Honor 5c

I've used Crystalfit once previously and the job was pretty well done (asymmetrical hexagon). However Steve is very reluctant to respond to emails requesting information. For example I asked about his insurance and whether he'd need the (pretty valuable, gold) watch with movement and hands fitted (for clearance). No reply at all. And a follow up stating "I thought it wasn't an unreasonable question" also generated no response. It's an odd way to conduct a business.

Roy

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Saturday morning 27/4 Sunday evening 28/4 Monday evening 29/4 Floor has a drain in the middle so I am hoping that there is very little fall on it, if any. Room is about 2.5 x 2.5 metres square. Can only use about 1/2 of one wall on the right of the pictures which has a sliding glass door in it. And only about 3/4 of the wall to the left of the pictures as it has the door to the house in it. Progress. 🙂 
    • This makes much more sense now, the oil is withdrawing itself to make as little contact with the epilame as possible. Same principle as wax on a car creates a hyrophobic surface that makes the cohesive properties of water molecules pull together.  The water beads run off only when under the influence of gravity but still remain cohesively beaded up. And as mentioned earlier a pivot would keep the oil in place on a cap jewel.  Epilame on an escapement would be a different scenario, there is nothing to hold the oil in position if gravity tugs at the bead to move, plus the escape teeth pull the oil about Maybe this is why its suggested to run the watch for a short while to remove the epilame to make two oleophobic surfaces either side of the oil, creating a ring of fire 🔥 around it 😅 The oil is repelled by every surface of the epilame even that which it sits upon. So the oil pulls together to make as little contact with it as possible, but the oil cant float above that area, it can only sit there on top of it. Under gravity the oil could potentially run away as an oil bead, unless the epilame has an adhesive property which i dont think it does ? So something else keeps it in position ie a pivot under a cap jewel . But that isn't the case in a pallet jewel situation. 
    • As with every skill it watchmaking, it takes practice. Notice at the top of the document it says, "Practical work - 40 hours".  I can get the balance wheels 'close enough' to flat, but never seem to get them perfect. Same with gear wheels. Guess I need more practice.
    • Has it got a beat adjustment on the platform or is it a fixed hairspring? in short what you are looking at to get it just about in beat is to get the roller jewel sitting dead centre between the banking pins. So remove the platform and take of the pallet fork and escape wheel to give you clear line of site, sit the platform with the balance in place and with it level look between the banking pins and see if the roller jewel is sitting between them, if it is nice and central its there or there abouts in beat, if its not the the position of the pinned end of the hairspring needs to be adjusted to move the roller jewel into the correct position, thats why I asked if it has an adjustment on the platform or not, if it has its an easier job. 
    • I've managed to adjust it. I'm going to try and explain it as well as I can with my limited horology knowledge but I hope it helps someone in the future. There is a cam to the right of the front plate as shown in the picture. As the clock ticks along, the pin indicated in the gear comes around and slots into one of the silencer cam gaps, turning the cam. The pin completes a full rotation in 2 hours. To adjust the cam to start at the right time set the clock to just before 7. I did 6:45. Then I turned the silencer cam anticlockwise, which spins freely, until it pushed the silencer lever up and was placed just before the drop. Just before the 7AM indicated in the picture. All I then had to do was progress the hands to 7-7:15which made the pin slot into the silencer cam gap and turn the cam so the lever comes down again, unsilencing the clock. That was it. If anyone comes across this issue again I'd be happy to assist. Thanks again to everyone that helped. Hey Transporter! Thanks a lot for the reply. That was a really good explanation and I'm sure it would have made my troubleshooting a lot less painful haha. I'm sure someone will find it useful in the future. Thank you again for taking the time to try and help me out with this.